The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ebay Supra Buyers! please read!

a98pmalcolm

Hi all. Ok as ya do, i was having browser seeing what supras are for sale...see what parts are lingering around the net etc...

I came accross a car on e-bay that i was goin to buy and drive home in!

Now the reason for me not buying the car in the AWFUL condtion it was in, that the pics hide very well! Its purely the the terriable paint work thats really lets this car down!!!

1. The paint has crazed all over the car meaning the paint lifts in 2 areas making a slpit about 3 - 4 inchs long in the middle of the lift!
  2. Paint has lifted and bubbled up on the front bumper
  3. 2 wheels are BADLY curbed, one so much that it looks like when u put a knife into butter and soop it (sorry best way to describe it)
  4. swirl marks on the boot
  5. dash has 3 drilled holes
  6. defi boost gauge doesnt work
  7. no hydrolic lifters for the boot

There was a few other things aswell that are not coming to me right now.

HERE IS THE CAR!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1998-TOYOTA-SUPRA-RZ-S-TWIN-TURBO-MANUAL-VVTI_W0QQitemZ140329253714QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item20ac467b52&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A3%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Im not saying dont bid, nor dont be interested, This could be the car for you....I thought it was for me with my hopes up for 2 months of looking at pics!

But PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE view the car b4 bidding!

Im telling you from my exprience!

They are saying "Absolutely Immaculate" buts its far from it unless they have had it fully rubbed down and resprayed! So if they have had that done in the past few weeks!!

As the guys told me on here take your time, look around, speak to people and wait for the rite car! i did and have come out with a stunner thanks to Jurgan at JM Imports and every ones advice!

Hope i have helped in some way!

All the best!

Paul

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

Its does cover up the defects well. But to be honest i really don't like that much anyway and I don't understand that boot lid, looks like am MR2!!!!!!!!!

But cheers for the heads up anyway. Looks like you had a "great escape" there tho mate. Just hope no-one does end up getting stitched up with this motor.

yer the worse thing with about the boot lid is during idle! is flaps like a moe foe! lol.

i was in the "im here now with the cash" thing so i really didnt know what to do.

but my dad said "what ever u deside i will suport"

i came back into his car after pondering for 2 hours or so about it! and I said "no im not having it i will regret it" and he said "Paul u have made the rite choice! I wasnt goin to tell you what to think nor what to deside but that car was as complete mess, well done. I know how picky u are and everytime u wash that u will dislike it more and more coz of the condtion, i know how hard it was to say no after travelling this far to say no but im proud u arent getting it"

(my old man was a bit of a lege that day) lol

Paul

When i 1st saw it on autotrader, it was up for £13k!!! so my dad called as he was helping me out with a lil bit of the money! and knocked him down to £11500 before organising a viewing! when i was actually looking at it (with the biggest disopointed face!) i said "i dunno how much you paid for it but i wouldnt pay more than £10k as a customer let alone a dealership" coz i beleive they didnt import it they bought it from an importer!

Dont hold me to that though but im pretty sure thats what he and my dad were chatting about!

TBH the whole thing was a let down..customer service i dont think they have herd of!

When i got there (at the arranged time and a few calls as we were on our way) well they werent there!!! we waited near on 1 and a 1/2 hours for them to turn up with me calling every 10mins for them to say on the phone "be there in 10 mins i promise" every 10 mins i called!

His partber FINALY came opened up and said "there it is" pointing at it! and went streight in his mobile and stood there in silence!!!!

Now with the will to spend £11500 i expect the car to be started moved away from the wall into the middle of his unit and talk me though it but no just "there is it" and..............silence.... lol

I been looking through your past posts and see you have a very low mileage criteria (as this poor car had), I would advise you to relax this especially if you see a nice late car thats local and that you are taken by............no harm in viewing these regardless (within reason) of the mileage.

I'm not saying you will not get a great low miler i'm just saying you may miss a mint/very good car. There will be many 70K mile supras out there that i'd rather use and would expect fewer bill from in a couple of years ownership than some sub 50K milers.

All things being equal then obviously the lower mileage generally the better but as you are finding all things are not often equal!

Well done on walking away, not always that easy even in the face of a substandard car :)

thanks man :) yer the millage cought my eye with it but there has to be a balance like u said!

Yer the blue one is nice a tidy! did u see that mint std one on pistion heads? 25Kish miles

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/974212.htm

I just thought was pukka! :)

Both look very nice. Blue one is missing a front valance thingy though

Yer the blue one is nice a tidy! did u see that mint std one on pistion heads? 25Kish miles

sounds good...........strange to have the rear spats but the sideskirts have gone? Lower front bumper cracked, 1st pic wing looks different to me but that could just be the light......also facelift front indicators gone and pre facelift fitted.

Not major things just some slight oddities especially for the claimed mileage?

oh an 'uprated clutch' er why?..............standard ones last ages and there is no claims of heavy mods that may have caused premature clutch failure......

Edited by Scooter (see edit history)

Remember, don't feel pressured into buying a car you've travelled far to see. Just because you'd had to travel, doesn't warrent HAVING to buy the car. If you're not happy with it, walk away, there are plenty more around, and you'd only regret it and hate the car if you weren't gagging to get in it and drive it away with a HUGE smile on your face!

I'm forever looking forward to the day I get a Supra... And I'll make sure that when I do, it's the best one that fits my criteria! :D

IMO mileage is irrelevant with these cars. If they are looked after even remotely properly they last forever.

Mine has done 145 miles (all in miles not half in km) and when i was looking at buying another the ones i looked at had done half or 1/3rd the mileage and mine was still in better condition. Decided not to bother in the end and just keep mine :p

IMO mileage is irrelevant with these cars. If they are looked after even remotely properly they last forever.

Mine has done 145 miles (all in miles not half in km) and when i was looking at buying another the ones i looked at had done half or 1/3rd the mileage and mine was still in better condition. Decided not to bother in the end and just keep mine :p

145 miles, yours must be the lowest mileage Supra ever ;) lol....