The mkiv Supra Owners Club

now my 2nd turbo sound like this!!

trinitom

after a complete inspection on actuactors, vsv's, and hoses i have decided to try the TTC mode.

as soon the car start to make some boost it comes the sound.

this is my car, the sound is coming from behaind the turbo's cover.

what you guys think?

turbo gone?

that does sound very unhealthy sounds like something is in there eating away at your turbo. might want to take the pipes off and take a look at the blades. see if they are mashed or not.

*edit* might want to check your ic piping and throttle body see if there is any metal filings around that area :)

around 0.25 sec i have turned off the TTC mode and the sound was gone!

now the hunting for a set of turbos starts!

the sound was there when i brought the car 4 months ago, it was hardly noticeable i never realize it was the turbo mea by something lose.

but after a big loss of power around 3000rpm and TTC mode this is obvious, the turbo is gone!

I don't think your turbo has gone mate, I pretty sure when you change to TTC mode the VSV's rattle like that, hence why when you change back the noise stops.

so what happens when you drive in normal sequential mode?

I've just looked at your other post, I'm betting you've got a few things plugged in the wrong way round, and/or pipes in the wrong place,

when back in seq mode can you see the IACV actuator rod rise an fall when you raise the revs in the bay? the same goes for the egbv actuator rod?(left to right for this one)

as I had a similar problem, one was that the EGBV wasnt plugged securely and the other was the IACV vsv was knackered. Once I had replaced/connected these I could see both working, iirc I needed to raise the revs near to 4-5k to see the egbv operate

Edited by Tom (see edit history)

I've just looked at your other post, I'm betting you've got a few things plugged in the wrong way round, and/or pipes in the wrong place,

when back in seq mode can you see the IACV actuator rod rise an fall when you raise the revs in the bay? the same goes for the egbv actuator rod?

as I had a similar problem, one was that the EGBV wasnt plugged securely and the other was the IACV vsv was knackered. Once I had replaced/connected these I could see both working, irrc I need to raise the revs near to 4-5k to see the egbv operate

I have checked all pipes they are all well connected, in sequential mode the car behave the same as TTC, (the engine doesn't rev past 3000rpm)

I'm pulling my hear!!!

yeah I had the exact same thing, a pipe was the wrong way round or it was that one of the plugs were disconnected at the time.

take a break from it and see if you can meet up with another tt owner to compare the systems and if they're generous enough to swap parts over to see the exact problem with yours :)

when back in seq mode can you see the IACV actuator rod rise an fall when you raise the revs in the bay? the same goes for the egbv actuator rod?(left to right for this one)

as I had a similar problem, one was that the EGBV wasnt plugged securely and the other was the IACV vsv was knackered. Once I had replaced/connected these I could see both working, iirc I needed to raise the revs near to 4-5k to see the egbv operate

i have checked all the actuators with my tire pump, and all of them open and close and pressure is applied!

doesn't the TTC mode bypass the vsv's?

yeah I had the exact same thing, a pipe was the wrong way round or it was that one of the plugs were disconnected at the time.

take a break from it and see if you can meet up with another tt owner to compare the systems and if they're generous enough to swap parts over to see the exact problem with yours :)

that will be nice, but here in Jersey i don't know any one with a TT! :(

here goes basically there is a plate on the down pipe side of the turbo's, the vsv's control it, when you go TTC like i have also the first few mins until revved hard the plate tinkles around exactly like yours, if you go back to TTC then rev it close to the limiter it will be fine there after i promise.

I can do a video the same as mine is like that everytime i start from cold, its basically the plate rattling.

the plate controls the exhaust gas thats why in TTC mode its alot deeper sound because the plate is being held open, when the plate is closed it allows the exhaust gas to go to the first turbo hense sequential mode.

Edited by little num (see edit history)

thanks for your input littlenum;)

i fell much better if that is normal!

but still got the problem and one more update, when i rev the car the black pipe that goes from turbo pipes to smic bends a bit like a sandwich, so now i presume the 1st turbo is not puling enough air to the intake manifold.

sounds right?

with one of the actuators is responsible for full boost on 1st turbo?

You will always get this rattle when cold untill things warm up and you have been at full boost then will stop mine does :), and as for the SMIC pipe bending I think thats normal as its from all the air getting sucked round it, you panic to much :hehe:p

You will always get this rattle when cold untill things warm up and you have been at full boost then will stop mine does :), and as for the SMIC pipe bending I think thats normal as its from all the air getting sucked round it, you panic to much :hehe:p

it could be normal, but i never noticed that.

it only does it when it's stuck at 3000 rpm!

tomorrow i'm going to mr t and see how much for the vsv!

unless someone got a spare for sale!

right, i may found the problem on my car!

Today I was testing the car and tried for a few sec more than 3000rpm, then something happen!

The pipe coming from smic to intake just pup off with a big bang!:wtf:

Then I realize…..:idea: the engine is not letting the air coming from the turbo to come in…. the valves must be closed!

Then I noticed my cam gears are not aligned with the crank pulley reference, they are upside down from the top marks on the engine!

they are in the same direction but pointing down when the crank pulley is on the mark reference!

i have speak with my mate (who have changed my timing belt)

and he told me it was like that before.

will the car run like this? could by this the problem?

someone correct me if Im wrong.... but wont the crank pulley do two revolutions when the others will do one... size difference? This would make the cam references point in different directions...

And yes, my VSV rattles alot untill i get up to 3000 revs, then it sorts its self out.

...and a IC pipe will pop off with a bang if you don't tighten it properly.

Alex james is right, you get two crank revolutions for one cam, so basically, turn the crank once and they'll line up. If it was 180 degrees out I doubt the car would even run.

You're looking into this too much mate. You're IC pipe popping off is probably just a loose clip.

Put it all back together, leave it in TTC mode and go for a blat, you should notice a change in exhaust note when the exhaust valve is opened and the rattle will probably stop.

Edited by pistonbroke (see edit history)