The mkiv Supra Owners Club

hey guys advice please

dublin lad

as some of you know i am moving back to dublin in 2 weeks. my car is for sale. i have been offered an x reg accord executive with 84k on the clock a years test and tax for my supe it is a straight swap. dpes anybody have any feedback on these cars or am i best to wait for a sale on the supe. either way i will need a car.

thanks guys/girls

Edited by dublin lad (see edit history)

depends what your milage and current spec or your supe is. if you need a quik sale then id say 70% yes. but id do some googling on the accord model ur looking at and go from there.

i dont have any experience with hondas at all sorry

The Honda Accords are extremely good robust cars, provided its got a good if not full service history and it sounds and drives well, its certainly worth having, but check their going rates on Autotarder to ensure you don't get conned or end up paying too much either way even though its a swap.

Good advice from DSK. Have a look what the Accords go for in Autotrader, and maybe completed ebay listings for a bottom-end estimate. Compare it to what you think your supra would realistically sell for, bearing in mind a potential buyer might haggle with you to lower the price a bit more.

If the two numbers are in the same ballpark and you like the Accord, then I'd say do the swap. Don't underestimate how hard it can be to sell a car unless 1) you're prepared to let it go below its market value or 2) it's immaculate.

As Scooter said, price in a bit for the hassle of having to look for another car if you don't do the swap.

Beware of VRT. Exemption rules have changed for bringing your car in from over the pond. You need to have owned it for 12 months and be able to show this on the log book and that it had been taxed and insured. You can also be asked to show proof of living there, or bank statements. You will have to pass the NCT too.

Check http://www.revenue.ie and go to the taxes and duties section to find the online vrt calculator.

Edited by Rob Dublin (see edit history)

cheers for that point rob. i drove the accord and the exhaust needs replacing. mot ends in july only has service up until 24k so i decided against it.

ps rob in what way does the vrt work over there now. i can still use my address over here and get it taxed tested here. but i do need a run around for tallaght and travelling to cabra. is there many drivers driving on english plates? i do get unlimited european driving with my insurance here. but not sure on the requirments of driving on a uk tax and tested car.

cheers for all the advice also guys very much appriciated.

darren.

Not 100% sure what model Accord it is, but VRT is likely to be circa €640. Road tax I think is another 6 or 700 on top.

You won't get a VRT exemption unless you AND the car have been resident outside the state for 12 months AND the car has been in your ownership for that period. Changing car now isn't going to do you any favours at this stage.

There are quite a few yellow reg's around but they're clamping down on it pretty heavily if you're noticed regularly. If you're going to drive it daily you're pretty much running a gauntlet, especially Tallaght and Cabra which are likely to have a heavier Garda presence.

Best thing I can suggest is that used car values over here have plummetted. Maybe put the Supra thru an auction for a quick sale or offer it on here for maybe 1500 and give a club member a bargain. That'll get you a flight home and a pretty decent car here, €2000 will get you in a '00 diesel Primera, bit less for a petrol version. Brave the auctons and you'll be laughing.

dont understand your reg years. i have 04 2.4 accord saloon 200k on it bought new serviced myself every 6 k.never had a days trouble except for bit of condensation in headlight

X reg year 2000, so different model of Accord. Reckon the reliability wouldn't be a issue on either.

me and motorbikes dont work out anymore. but it is something i will consider. rang my insurance company i got 90 days driving for each trip i make. i will be over more than that to see my boys so for the next 6 months i will use the car i got in px yesterday its also an accord a 2000 year 51k on clock and full service. its also the 2.0 vtec se model. its a grand car. my dads mates runs his own car place will see if he can sort anything out for me. cheers for the advice.

ps i take it the vrt is for the changing of plates?

me and motorbikes dont work out anymore. but it is something i will consider. rang my insurance company i got 90 days driving for each trip i make. i will be over more than that to see my boys so for the next 6 months i will use the car i got in px yesterday its also an accord a 2000 year 51k on clock and full service. its also the 2.0 vtec se model. its a grand car. my dads mates runs his own car place will see if he can sort anything out for me. cheers for the advice.

ps i take it the vrt is for the changing of plates?

Vrt is for the Vechile Registration tax so yes Irish Plates