The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car's misfiring again & spark plug question

DSK

Well just as the Supra was running all nice and well, drove it once last weekend, parked it up, washed it yesterday evening, thought I'd nip out and get some snap shots of it today in the sun and whilst its warming up I hear the misfire pops through the exhaust

Phoned Whifbitz several times but no answer. They supplied my previous coil with no issues and good service. I tried Envy, they had no stock aso askedd them to give me an exact date as to when they would get the coils in, no reply....

So phoned a few Toyota dealers, local and near by. In the end my local dealer gave me £10% off on the coils can get me 3 by either Saturday or Tuesday, so ordered those, which should get me back on the road and then order the remaining 2 coils to make up 6 in total for next month in line with my cheque.

Lastly, SPARRK PLUG related. Shortly before the first coil pack started breaking down the otehr month, I replaced the spark plugs with NGK iridium BKR6EIX-11.

Due to the car being started for engine diagnostics with the misfire, could the spark plugs have become damaged and require replacing again?

(Its the first time on any car I have experinced what I belive to be another ignition coil start to break down so quickly after the first one).

Are you sure its not the connectors to the coil modules, a faulty coil is unlikely to cause damage to a new spark plug , but as you have just changed your spark plugs you will have distrubed all the coil module connectors which are a well know problem

Are you sure its not the connectors to the coil modules, a faulty coil is unlikely to cause damage to a new spark plug , but as you have just changed your spark plugs you will have distrubed all the coil module connectors which are a well know problem

I have some new coil pack connector clips left as I got several of these from Whifbitz along with the coil the other month. I replaced the coil pack connector clip and coil on the same cylinder as the damaged connect clip was on the faulty coil. We changed the clip first, made no difference and then replaced the coil, after which all was well.

I now have 5 coils and 5 coil pack connector clips left to do. When I get the next 3 coils, I will do the connector clips for those three at the same time as the coils.

Thanks for confirming that the spark plugs should be fine!

Edited by DSK (see edit history)

Hi mate, I've got clips and coil packs in stock if needed, you must have caught me when I popped out about lunchtime, give me a bell tomorrow if you need any.

Ta

No worries Paul. I have already paid Toyota for the coils as they required payment upon order even though the parts are not in stock and need to be ordered.

I'll be in touch soon enough though for some goodies.

Thanks for the offer but trouble is I really need the car back on the road asap and as it has 140K on the clock I thought its best to just get new ones either way. As a result I will now have all the 5 remaining coil packs and connectors which are outstanding.

Hopefully this may be of use to fellow members. I'll keep hold on my functioning coils and list them should anyone who is hands on require some for testing etc - great idea.