The mkiv Supra Owners Club

FMIC Power Increase

kill1308

Just curious really....

Is fitting a decent FMIC likely to give a half decent power increase over the standard SMIC? I know it's the case on several other types of cars, but I've heard that the SMIC on the supra is pretty good (given it's in good condition). Also assuming it's a decent quality FMIC with well designed endcaps.

Has anyone ever done a before and after test power wise on a BPU car with FMIC vs SMIC....?

I did a quick search but couldn't find anything conclusive :) Anyone got any ideas on power gains (or losses due to re-routing of pipework possibly causing heat issues from elsewhere?)

Cheers

James

In a word, no, unless your SMIC is turning to powder.

Remember the Stock SMIC has proper ducting going to it, which brings its efficiency up dramatically,.

I would say 90% of the FMIC's fitted to Supra's are not ducted properly or even at all therefore they perform worse than a Stock Good condition SMIC.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

Remember the Stock SMIC has proper ducting going to it, which brings its efficiency up dramatically,.

I would say 90% of the FMIC's fitted to Supra's are not ducted properly or even at all therefore they perform worse than a Stock Good condition SMIC.

yeh this, if changing the smic go for an uprated 1 like cw or miami gt, i have a miami gt and noticed as big change as my uk cooler was dust.

Guest Budz86

What does everyone think about the different brands of FMIC? Is one brand likely to produce better results than another?

I'm assuming here that they are well known brands (HKS, G-Reddy etc.) as opposed to the el-cheapo ones one E-bay

With respect thats a load of rubbish. supragirlie's car is markedly better with the Greddy FMIC and i have never known a car to lose performance. Look at the surface area thats in the cool air compared to a SMIC with a load of leaves and the odd dead hedge hog embedded in it, also factor that the pipework is prob better on a FMIC.

On the other hand i could allways put Nells old ic on my single and see how well it goes!!!:blink:

Seems like there's 2 differing opinions on this so far then... I'd be interested to see what more people think about this too. Would be nice to have some numbers to backup any claims but understand that's probably not possible.

Thanks for your input so far peeps, appreciated... :)

With respect thats a load of rubbish. supragirlie's car is markedly better with the Greddy FMIC and i have never known a car to lose performance. Look at the surface area thats in the cool air compared to a SMIC with a load of leaves and the odd dead hedge hog embedded in it, also factor that the pipework is prob better on a FMIC.

On the other hand i could allways put Nells old ic on my single and see how well it goes!!!:blink:

But what condition was Nells SMIC in, thats the point

New for new on a BPU car a SMIC would be as efficient, fully ducted and lighter, add that into the fact it does not restrict the air flow to the rad

I thought the general consensus was that fitting an FMIC to any turbo'd Supra would give an increase in HP, at the expense of a little Lag. I can't see there being much difference in lag however, as the stock pipework look far more restrictive than the pipework supplied with the Greddy and HKS kits, even if the aftermarket stuff is a bit longer.

What does everyone think about the different brands of FMIC? Is one brand likely to produce better results than another?

I'm assuming here that they are well known brands (HKS, G-Reddy etc.) as opposed to the el-cheapo ones one E-bay

Ebay kits are cheap for a reason - because they are rubbish for the most part. Poor design and construction, incomplete kits, poor fit...

Seems like there's 2 differing opinions on this so far then... I'd be interested to see what more people think about this too. Would be nice to have some numbers to backup any claims but understand that's probably not possible.

Thanks for your input so far peeps, appreciated... :)

11.5 @ 114 MPH, BPU car with GReddy 3-Row FMIC.

The only numbers that matter measuring performance gains :eyebrows:

Fitting a bigger intercooler won't raise power on it's own unless you up the boost a little to compensate for the higher amount of cool, dense air going into the engine. The boost should drop a tiny bit if the intercooler is doing it's job properly, yet the engine will make the same power. It just has to push less air to get the same result. Hence a power increase is seen when the boost is brought back up to the same level as before, because you're actually getting more air (denser) flowing into the cylinders.

The above is only true for comparing two intercoolers in exactly the same condition, so isn't the case with most of our cars.

Edited by Gaz6002 (see edit history)

So by that logic a BPU car with increased boost should technically gain a bit of power if the inlet charge is being cooled more efficiently? I know the standard one is well designed and situated, I just find it difficult to understand that fitting a larger intercooler with solid piping wouldn't increase power somewhat.

The standard SMIC in good condition is the best option where only modest powergains are planned. An uprated SMIC will take you up to 500bhp of mods. Most people, fitting an FMIC as a replacement for a shot stock SMIC, may notice some power improvements as the charge temp may be being brought down to where they should have been. Bigger FMIC's just help achieve the potential of other mods.

Edited by Terminator (see edit history)