The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Labour on fitting front BrushKit

Jellybean

Got the powerflex front brush kit , took the garage about 5 hours work

Does 480 pound sound like a lot for labour and tracking

Tracking in Ireland is normally around 60 pound

Just it is my mate that done it and it seems to me like a lot of money for labour

Put it this way I am waiting around since February to get this done , it my mate thats doin it so its cash in hand

I dropped the car off at 7.00 last nite so they would of started on it at about 7.30 earliest (they had to finish up some stuff)

My mate was back home and all by 1045, he said he just needs to put the wheels back on today

I Estimated 5 hours work

so to me 100 euro an hour Labour is well steep , he had to get the other mechanic to do it because he is still an apprentice and was not comfortable doin it himself but I shouldnt have to pay the rate of two fully qualified mechanics and even at that they are charging me full prices not nixer

It is a hot topic because hes a mate but I am not a mug and hate it when people try to take advantage , I would of done it mysef but dont have the facilities

Just goin to ask for an invoice, and if they say but its a nixer, I will reply then why are u charging me full garage prices?

anybody have a better idea to approach it?

The other mechanic was adamant I was not allow stay, now I know why , so he could take the piss on the price

Originally they estiamted 350 euro for the Job, so I was thinking more 430(390 pounds all in) euro including tracking

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

Why do expect a mate to do it for less?

Would you not prefer to give him the money rather than a stranger?

My best mate does all my body work, I go to him because between himself and his dad they have 40 years experience in the motor industry. I know the job will be done the way I want it and done right, not because they do it cheaper.

Just got my Prelude redone there, they fitted the body kit to it originally as well, this time round it was a small crash repair and a re-spray. €4,600 and I was happy to give it to him.

Why?

He's a mate.

Why do expect a mate to do it for less?

Would you not prefer to give him the money rather than a stranger?

My best mate does all my body work, I go to him because between himself and his dad they have 40 years experience in the motor industry. I know the job will be done the way I want it and done right, not because they do it cheaper.

Just got my Prelude redone there, they fitted the body kit to it originally as well, this time round it was a small crash repair and a re-spray. €4,600 and I was happy to give it to him.

Why?

He's a mate.

I expect him to do it for the going rate at least not 100 euro more

Plus I got him 400 Cigarettes B&H and some Jack Daniels, and then he wants to charge me 100 euro more than the goin rate

I have been very fair with him, always bring him the car mags at the weekend, go out of my way to get him work from friends and family and this is the thanks I get

FUBAR

Think the prob here might be that it wasnt really his mate that done it.

Bottom line is that even with a mate doing it you should agree a ball parkish figure before he starts. If he's a mate and is "doing you a favour" because he's a mate, then he shouldnt be charging you the going rate IMO.

I wouldnt have let this other guy tell me I couldnt be there either. If he's doing a homer, then I doubt he's covered for anything if he screws it up and his employers didnt know about it.

Going rates should only be done when everything is going through the books. A mechanic aint gonna see £100 an hour in his hand if thats what Toyota charge you. And at least you're covered with them as youve entered a contract.

If the mechanic sees half of that, then thats what you should pay him, plus a few of quid for his time. Hardly a "favour" if youre paying normal wack without the contract.

Think the prob here might be that it wasnt really his mate that done it.

Bottom line is that even with a mate doing it you should agree a ball parkish figure before he starts. If he's a mate and is "doing you a favour" because he's a mate, then he shouldnt be charging you the going rate IMO.

I wouldnt have let this other guy tell me I couldnt be there either. If he's doing a homer, then I doubt he's covered for anything if he screws it up and his employers didnt know about it.

Going rates should only be done when everything is going through the books. A mechanic aint gonna see £100 an hour in his hand if thats what Toyota charge you. And at least you're covered with them as youve entered a contract.

If the mechanic sees half of that, then thats what you should pay him, plus a few of quid for his time. Hardly a "favour" if youre paying normal wack without the contract.

he said it was goin to be around 350 euro but he wanted 550 euro

gave him 400 euro