The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I can't believe I'm posting a "MK5 Supra(!!!)" thread...

Ark

Guest Rays the roof

Wonder if you can get factory fitted extras such as undercar neons, nos and a F50 bonnet scoop fitted!

Chavtastic :cool:

it looks crap they've destroyed the image of the supra, being in this present time it'll probably end up running on a load of AAA batteries and go no faster than a walking pace

I imagine people said the same during the transition from mk3 to mk4. Look at them side by side, if you didn't know what you were looking at, there is no way they could ever be contrued as being part of the same marque.

I wonder if they'll make it as tuner freindly as the mk4?

So far, from what I've read, the r35 gtr is no where near as tuner friendly as the previous itterations, saying that though, it may just be early days.

I hate that SH-IT (it's something like that ;)) car. Why can't they crack on with the LF-A, the real Supra-like car an the worthy successor to the name? :(

I dont hate the car but it's the LF-A that really should be classed as the supras successor. If they can get it to go without the problems the prototype has had. And if after 4 years they stop calling it a concept car.

I imagine people said the same during the transition from mk3 to mk4.

Exactly my thought.

The MK4 has become a cult car in my eyes but it doesn't look anythign like the earlier MK3. Why should the MK5?

Saying that though, if I had a £ for every time I saw those three pictures with rumours of the 'new' supra I would be a millionaire by now.

Why does it matter if it's the new Supra or not? It's a new Toyota that (IMO) looks nice and has a nice decent amount of power and is a Hybrid so will be cheap on tax! :D

It won't compete with the GTR, but was it supposed to? I thought it was an upgraded Celica more than anything else.

For it to be the new Supra to me, it needs:

- 6 cylinders

- toyota build quality

- good power

- good handling

- good looks

- modern interior and toys

It doesn't have to be the "best" looking or handling car. Doesn't need tonnes of power. It just needs to be a great all round compromise, with all the hallmarks of Toyota/Lexus. Let me put it this way - my new Honda has loads of design and build faults that simply wouldn't exist on a Toyota, and that says it all for me.

I imagine people said the same during the transition from mk3 to mk4. Look at them side by side, if you didn't know what you were looking at, there is no way they could ever be contrued as being part of the same marque.

The thing is the mk3 was based loosely on 1980s corvette styling.

The mk4 was based loosely on 1990s F40 styling.

Those cars they were based on were uber cool at the time.

That however, looks like its carved out of an iceberg

:D

IMO, the 400bhp will be harder work, i.e more revs needed. Whilst I can appreciate the need for hybrid orientated sports cars and the Toyota concept most definately will probably be about the best in this sector, IMO its strayed from the 'supra's' roots.

Ideally it needs to have a couple of couple of turbos for the consistent and effortless power across the rev range. Ideally at least 476bhp like the new GTR. Also they need to take a trip down memory lane, see how far advanced and ahead of its time the Supra was with all its clever styling, breath taking brakes that OE, g sensors etc.

The GTR and 911 Turbo are just shy of 500bhp, so ideally the Supra needs to be there abouts too with a few good lashings of technology from Toyota's science type bods in white coats. The Supra should always be the 'balls out' flasg ship.

Anyone take a look at the 086A Coupe, thats very close looking to the MK4.

Just did looks very nice, I love the new supra but it needs more power to keep up with the rest of the super cars. Toyota could always do the same as porsche and keep the same design for years to come!

For it to be the new Supra to me, it needs:.........

Good list.

The interesting one that I like to throw in is that to be a Supra to me, it has to have 4 seats - even if they're not really practical for adults - if you can put a kid or two in the back, an adult at a push (or even two sideways for short journeys), or just have somewhere to chuck a shopping bag or roadmap - it really adds something.

As soon as you drop to 2 seats, you are putting the car in competition with a LOT of alternatives.

If the Supra was a 2-seater, it could never have been our only car, and if we go down the route of two cars, then my second, fun, car is probably going to be a little Elise or something, not a big GT.