The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone else out cleaning in the sun today?

Dave_SZ-R

Well, I reckon today was the hottest of the year so far (it was for Edinburgh anyway!) so I decided it was time to break out the cleaning products.

Took the car for a nice thorough jetwash first, then dried it off with a chamois and a one-over with some brand new polishing cloths. Then spent a fair bit of time going over the car with some special grey T-Cut, focusing on any scrathces first, then applying a full coat. Finally I used some nice old Turtle Wax Extreme and my mechanical buffer (12 inches!) then a final once over with a polishing cloth.

Did a little bit of detailing to finish, Back-to-Black on exterior plastics, sticky stuff remover on headlamps, wheel cleaning wipes and the obligatory tyre shine!

Spent about 2 hours all in, which isnt bad really. poor old Sup hadnt had enough TLC in the last couple of months! Unfortunately, a bird has shat on the front drivers' side wing already, so Ill do a bit more tomo, and tackle those filthy wheel-arches.

clean2.jpg

Clean1.jpg

clean6.jpg

clean7.jpg

clean9.jpg

Very nice Ben :) Lovely colour.

Were you the chap I was talking to about wheel offset issues a while back? The rear wheel shot looks familar, hence asking.

Yes and no. It was me with the wheel issue, but I am not Ben! These are still the same wheels, I havent been tempted by wheel spacers yet, waiting for the right set of rims to come along...

Yes and no. It was me with the wheel issue, but I am not Ben! These are still the same wheels, I havent been tempted by wheel spacers yet, waiting for the right set of rims to come along...

lol, sorry bud, yes it was you, just made a typo (getting confused with all the member names that looks similar!).

Good luck on the search for wheels, the style of the ones you have now is spot on, just a shame they're a bit on the narrow side.

lol, sorry bud, yes it was you, just made a typo (getting confused with all the member names that looks similar!).

Good luck on the search for wheels, the style of the ones you have now is spot on, just a shame they're a bit on the narrow side.

Thats cool, I believe you may be thinking of this man:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/member.php?u=17968

I can see how it might get confusing. Strangely, my wheels are too small, while his are too big. ;)

Guest Rays the roof

Looking well worth the effort Dave :cool:

I use Meguires and find it comes off very easily, even in hot sunshine. But prefer to do late in the day when it is cooler and looks even shinier....

"Anyone else out cleaning in the sun today? "

No, I have a job unfortuneatly :(

Me too, Im fortunate enough to make my own schedule (unless something needs sorting urgently ofcourse) so when the suns out so am I!

Thanks for all the compliments people, makes the mild sunburn well worth the effort.

Supragirlie, I know what you mean, it can be tricky and alot of polishes say not to use on very hot panels or in direct sunlight. In my experience, this just makes it harder to polish in, but you get the same result.

That cleaning thread is crazy, so complex and detailed... Take the car to a jetwash, dry it off properly, use some colour specific T-Cut, full coat of quality wax/ polish, buff until your having palpitations, detail with tyre shine/ back-to-black, done.

Kudos for putting that together though Lewis, you can clean my car anytime.

Gave the car another once over yesterday, this time stealing products from my EK9 driving mate. He uses some really posh, expensive Meguiars wax, but I didnt notice alot of difference over my normal Turtle Wax stuff. Its all in the buffing...

cleaner 004.jpg

cleaner 008.jpg

cleaner 016.jpg

cleaner 019.jpg

cleaner 026.jpg

Looks excellent mate :cool:

Any more pics of the EK9? :D

As requested... Hes spent a small fortune on this, only the best bits on it. Its making easily over 200bhp, Spoon rims, brake conversion, unknown suspension, 4-2-1 manifold, de-cat and Mugen 'twin-loop' system, various engine bits... I could go on. Ill need to go out and see how the NA gets on against it, could go either way!

cleaner 017.jpg

cleaner 028.jpg