The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sky?!

mobsta_01

I have finally ot my n/a supra insured. After trying out the various comparison sites out there (on which the lowest quote i got was for £1,300!), i decided to ring up some insurance companies myself.

So, i looked at the ones used by some of the members on here.

Elephant kept quoting me for a TT online and when i rang them, i was told the system didnt recognise my car! But the did manage to refer me to some others. The cheapest quote for some time was £1,140 from Adrian Flux. At which point i thought i couldnt get my car insured for less than 1k. Some one even rang me quoting me £2,620!

But after all that i've decided to go with A-plan. They insured me for £855. I told the bloke i'm going to check with sky before i make a decision, because quite a number of mambers have recommended them and they have said that they would have the mst competitive quotes. But when they rag me they sad that even £855 was too low for them and they could not insure me for such a low price!!

I'm guessing you are a young one as a result do expect insurers to charge alot if you have a fancy car. All you can do is phone around.

Fwiw I'm 29, with about 9 yrs NCB, 6 points and I pay circa £800 for fully comp. Could have got it slightly cheaper but upon investigation, some of the chepaer quotes would have left me stuck should anything go wrong and I need to claim.

I tried sky again after receiving my renewel from adrian flux, sky qoted me £1300 which was £500 more than it was 2 years ago when i was with them, i was not impressed. They said i was out of the post code range that they like to insure:blink:

Where the hell do they think i live! Iraq

I pay £890 with 10 years no claims, No points and all mods declared, whitch is nothing out of the ordinary. I live in bolton.

What do you pay?

I'm in the centre and pay more than that. Most others didn't have the N/A.

Insurance is never cheap and the best advice I had from here is to phone around.

Edited by martini (see edit history)

In Mobsta's post above he comments about his n/a not being recognised this is also what i found when trying the usual suspects,Admiral,Elephant,et al,they were quoting for a 2dr sports,or a manual, a three door was only quoted in tt guise,so it's worth making sure what your quoted on.I was cheapest with Sky ,Swinton being a close second.

Guest willismaximus

Not to rub it in too much but..... :innocent:

I'm 29, 3 years NCB, car is garaged over night and I have restricted mileage on it as it's a second car these days and I only covered a couple of thousand miles last year, no mods to the car other than alloys and suspension both of which are covered and the insurance is fully comp with Adrian Flux all for the princely sum of £445.

Was with Sky last year paying £545 but the renewal only dropped like £5 which considering i'm a year older and wiser and had an extra years NCB wasn't good enough quite frankly so I took the huff with them and phoned around.

I have been with Sky for some time, they are a business after all and will quote based on their view of the risk, they have a good customer service IMO and have always been very helpful to me

I change my cars very often and they also manage that process very well for me, giving refunds where required

I am sure there ia a cheaper quote out there if I tried a bit harder to find it but I know with Sky they understand the Supra/Import market and that fills me with confidence should I need to claim

Some of the conversations I have had with other insurance companies tele sales are a joke when it comes to Jap imports

I've moved to A-Plan, they whupped Sky who weren't bothered about their lack of competitiveness at all.

Spoke to one of the two Jameses at the Thatcham branch after seeing a recommendation on here: he's a great chap, very helpful & friendly.

I won't rub it in with details but I'm not paying that much more than willismaximus, and my car couldn't be much more rare or modified. ;)

Guest willismaximus
I have been with Sky for some time, they are a business after all and will quote based on their view of the risk, they have a good customer service IMO and have always been very helpful to me

I change my cars very often and they also manage that process very well for me, giving refunds where required

I am sure there ia a cheaper quote out there if I tried a bit harder to find it but I know with Sky they understand the Supra/Import market and that fills me with confidence should I need to claim

Some of the conversations I have had with other insurance companies tele sales are a joke when it comes to Jap imports

I agree, Sky have been very good, whenever i've contacted them they've provided brilliant customer service and I hadn't originally intended to go elsewhere until my renewal came through and they'd only knocked off a fiver so I phoned Adrian Flux and they chopped about £80 squid off prompting me to call Sky and see how they'd react.... they pipped it by £10 and I think that's what's disgruntled me, from only offering a £5 reduction they could suddenly jump to a £90 reduction.....

Add to the equation I was having a very bad day at work I took the petulant child approach and went to Adrian Flux instead (But only after they'd agreed to knock a further £10 off to match Sky's follow up offer).

To be fair, i definately wouldn't rule out a return to Sky next year as they were really good and it was such a minor thing for me to be irritated by.

Guest willismaximus
I've moved to A-Plan, they whupped Sky who weren't bothered about their lack of competitiveness at all.

Spoke to one of the two Jameses at the Thatcham branch after seeing a recommendation on here: he's a great chap, very helpful & friendly.

I won't rub it in with details but I'm not paying that much more than willismaximus, and my car couldn't be much more rare or modified. ;)

Might have to add A-Plan to the list of insurers to try next year then :D

• 7 months later...