The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1st turbo has gone (TT), advice needed what to do next.

Getrag

Hi Folks,

Well that time has come that everyone with a TT has in the back of their mind and never thinks will happen to them :( :D

Took the car to the garage after it started to hesitate a little and to cut a story short, the first turbo has a good bit of play, leaking boost past it and everything else seems fine.

So what are my options folks and specifically, what are the prices that should go with it and what should I expect for labour from the garage for this?

I will try to source some good 2nd hand turbos but money is tight (for everyone really at this time). They may also have a 2nd hand set around so what sort of price should I be thinking about? And for time and labour?

Thanks folks :help: Sad this is has happened to the poor supra :violin: lol

My wanted thread if you have any,

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?p=2418237#post2418237

Edited by Getrag (see edit history)

Kevin Ross does the swap for around £300. He is based in Motherwell.

I need to get a day off work in the next couple of weeks to have mines swapped over. My 2nd turbo is fecked.

I took it to the other well known garage in Motherwell.

What does the swap involve? Does that include parts, labour etc or have to provide your own 2nd hand turbos? Any phone number for him?

I took it to the other well known garage in Motherwell.

What does the swap involve? Does that include parts, labour etc or have to provide your own 2nd hand turbos? Any phone number for him?

That is stripping it down and changing the turbos over. Even taking the engine out if need be.

You will have to source your own turbo's though. I got a set of 30k miles for £350 not so long ago.

His number is 07946756393

Thanks Jamesy.

Depending how urgent you need yours rectified, I should have a 1st turbo going spare once mine are swapped over.

It's just getting the time off work to get the car down to him that's a killer.

I had it booked in back in May, but he never opened up.:(

I dont know anything about turbos but are there no companies that refurbish them,can we fix nothing in this country anymore,or is it not cost effective ?

I had my turbos rebuilt/ reconditioned recently by CR Turbos ( http://www.crturbos.co.uk ), I cant shout their praises enough, they came back looking like new, with new Steel turbines and wheels etc, circa £800 for the pair inc Tax. or to get them rebuilt to stock is around £500.

Dont forget you need your turbo gasket kit which is £150 from mr T, and your oil and coolant and then your labour for fitting them.. it cost me £1300 in total for it all.

The only reservation I have about second hand turbos is that you could be in the same boat 50 miles down the road :taped:

hope this helps