The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Digital's Supra

Digital

Hello from Holland! My name is Robert, last weekend I bought this car:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=161357

I bought it with no compression on cilinder 5, so I will try to lift the head this week and see what's up.

I also own a JDM WRX STi MY95 with JUN 2.5L engine with a HKS GT30/40 turbo-setup:

The Subaru is going to leave in parts so I can slowly upgrade the Supra. I would like to change it to MT, and after this is done I can wire in the Autronic SM4 which is now in the STi.

I would recommend not to take the head out, ask Arnout for the camera to see what's going on inside, the less you take apart the less items are going to be lost. I talk from experience. Let Arnout take care of it, for him it's at least 1/4th of the work you are going to put on the car. It takes 2 hours to take out an engine-tranny combo, and about 45 minutes to strip it all down to pieces while out of the car. But when on the car it takes forever to do something.

I would recommend not to take the head out, ask Arnout for the camera to see what's going on inside, the less you take apart the less items are going to be lost. I talk from experience. Let Arnout take care of it, for him it's at least 1/4th of the work you are going to put on the car. It takes 2 hours to take out an engine-tranny combo, and about 45 minutes to strip it all down to pieces while out of the car. But when on the car it takes forever to do something.

:yeahthat:

I looked at that one and was very close to buying (it was me that left the deposit mentioned in the thread), I just knew something wasn't quite right with it so I let it go, had it been with Adam all this time or did it go to someone else first???

It was imported to Holland by SW-Performance for a customer. It run for 1 week and the engine died. After this it was sold to a another person, he put in another engine which was allready blow(nobody knew). He didn't have any time for it so I bought the car with the 2 engines.

ahhh ok, it did run 'ok' with the original engine that was in there but it smoked on/off boost, the reason I didn't buy as that engine had apparently had a full rebuild but the proof of the build was quite shady, my plan was to rebuild it but the guy wouldnt accept my offer in relation to this, which is fair enough I guess. I had a manual gbox conversion ready to go in at the time

Hope you have good luck, just keep this in the back of your head, doing your own R&D, always (100% sure about this) costs about double or in some cases triple of what a known shop would charge to do it right the first time, and timewise things that take 3-5 days normally, can be extended 1-2 years if you do things yourself.

I had a MKIV about 4 months ago of a customer that had a same issue and he was debating a shortblock change, I have completed that in one week exactly, with about 5 hours every day on the car. But I had everything in stock.

You are absolutely right, but in this case there will not be much R&D, only a longblock swap, luckely Arnout has 1 in stock.

It took me 4 years and 4 Imprezas to reach the point where I am now(as far as changing bearings on a short-block with some help), but was fun to do and it saved me loads of money.

Somebody is having fun. Next time just unplug the harness from inside, unhook the coolant in the back, the alternator and battery cable, fuel lines, IC pipes, exhaust after DP and driveshaft and shifter and take the radiator out. Then you should be able to pop the whole thing out without even needing to take off manifolds etc. easier and faster.

• 5 months later...