The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra on Pistonheads - A shed

beastgtir

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1101225.htm

Went to see this yesterday, it was a 350 mile round trip. Unphased i set off. Finally got there at almost 10pm due to traffic on the m40-m25!

Upon arrival, first impressions were what a superb looking supra!

Looked amazing, Fitment on kit was good.

Upon closer inspection: There are several spots of rust.

Mainly the targa top which suffers alot from the rear seal and edges.

Mysterious brown spot on rear bootlid, possible rust hiding underneath.

The paintwork was done by a blind monkey, overspray everywhere.

Also not noted was that the car was not only resprayed but had a colour change done from red. (the engine bay was red still).

Also noticed from looking at the rear boot shuts that the car had a purple flick paintjob to is probably after the red, This was confirmed by the center console inside the car which was the same purple-flick paint.

Few loose wires in the engine bay around the headlight area. Possibly neons or some sort of LED lights.

Fan cover missing, fitted with a HKS Mushroom filter.

Interior: Good condition but heavy wear on the front seats, mentioned it was lady owned before..

Parcel shelf missing. Spare wheel missing, tool kit missing.

Ariel damaged/incomplete.

Front arch-shields both missing.

Test drive: Drove great and very fast. No strange noises, exhaust note was spot on.

Suspension was standard, exhaust looked to be stainless steel throughout.

All in all, It was nothing as suggested, just tarted up for a quicksale (by the owner before whos got it now) in my opinion.

Full re-paint will be needed as its flaking off in places also.

Verbal agreement on the phone was for £4,500.

Upon viewing, my price in my mind was £3,800 to account for the paintwork needed but i offered £4,000 and the seller wasn't interested so i left it at that.

This was one of mine I am very sorry to say... :( (The worst Supra I have ever owned in terms of condition by far...) It was just a project car, I bought it for like 1k and it was in a right state, so I had the kit fitted, and resprayed, new wheels and a service etc (not a bodyshop I have used in the past, and haven't since....) the respray was poor, although I sold it a couple weeks after respray, so it didn't look too bad, certainly no paint flaking off etc :blink: I think I only sold it for about 4k in the end to this guy, as I knew the respray was not good, but so did the guy who bought it from me. There was no rust that I ever saw. Also, the fan cover wasn't missing when I had it, he should have mentioned the car was red before and the engine bay is still red as this will put alot of people off. It's worth around 3k now I reckon.

EDIT: Your comment about how it was just tarted up for a quick sale, is not quite true, I won it for very little on eBay on a whim, and thought I could use it as my daily driver etc, but when I saw how the respray turned out I wanted nothing more to do with it and just wanted rid :(

Edited by SupraGirlie (see edit history)

You offered £4,000 for a NA Aerotop with a poor paint job and some other niggles? :blink: I'm glad for your sake that the seller turned it down.

It would have cost me just materials for the paintwork as my buddy does bodywork. It was the targa which was the worst bit.

I was after a manual anyway, Just has to be white hence i went to see this.

Also viewed this last week, It was advertised at £4,000 back then.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/959883.htm

Similiar sort of problems, this was a genuine white but mismatched paintwork all over.

Bonnet was cut/vented by owner.

Mismatch of front/rear wheels.

This was one of mine I am very sorry to say... :( (The worst Supra I have ever owned in terms of condition by far...) It was just a project car, I bought it for like 1k and it was in a right state, so I had the kit fitted, and resprayed, new wheels and a service etc (not a bodyshop I have used in the past, and haven't since....) the respray was poor, although I sold it a couple weeks after respray, so it didn't look too bad, certainly no paint flaking off etc :blink: I think I only sold it for about 4k in the end to this guy, as I knew the respray was not good, but so did the guy who bought it from me. There was no rust that I ever saw. Also, the fan cover wasn't missing when I had it, he should have mentioned the car was red before and the engine bay is still red as this will put alot of people off. It's worth around 3k now I reckon.

The rust was appearing under the drivers mirror base.

The targa had rust along the rear and at the edges. The paint was bubbling up so it was definately there!

Also there was purple paint in the rear boot shuts? Seemed to have gone like this..

Original red, painted purple flip paint and now pure diamond white.

The car was a looker i have to admit.

The rust was appearing under the drivers mirror base.

The targa had rust along the rear and at the edges. The paint was bubbling up so it was definately there!

Also there was purple paint in the rear boot shuts? Seemed to have gone like this..

Original red, painted purple flip paint and now pure diamond white.

The car was a looker i have to admit.

I asked for a full respray everywhere except engine bay :( Trust me I won't ever use that bodyshop again, worst mistake ever and I paid quite a bit for it too :( I also asked him to take it right back to the metal so the rust on door sills would be sorted... Like I said, I sold it a couple weeks after the respray so problems like rust and paint flaking off were not apparent then.

Edited by SupraGirlie (see edit history)

Oh well, never mind.

Just thought i'd let other people off the forum who might be interested know the problems with it.

I hope you aren't offended, the comment about it being tarted up for sale was just a thought i had as these cars are often sold by back street traders/importers.

Oh well, never mind.

Just thought i'd let other people off the forum who might be interested know the problems with it.

I hope you aren't offended, the comment about it being tarted up for sale was just a thought i had as these cars are often sold by back street traders/importers.

Nope not at all, I do think he is asking too much, 1k more than he paid for it too is a bit cheeky!! Especially as it is in worse condition than when he bought it :blink: I do think he should mention the faults in the ad too.