The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The worst fitting bit of kit ever, Ideas?

The Raven

Got this from someone here, (who will reamin nameless) Caseys picked it up or me as the guy wouldnt post it. Real star for doing that for no extra cost.

Note the vent, or lack there of, the extreame fit on the edges and sheer hollowness of the underneath.

I must add it only cost me £10 so im not overly bothered by it, However i thought i would have to share its EPIC FAIL level of workmanship.

Simply chucking it in the skip is way to good for this fine item, so if you have any ideas what i can do with it that would be great.

So far Caseys has suggested angle grinding it down and useing it as somekind of fibreglass throwing toy.:D

Guest blueangel
Why don't you cut out the vent and stick it to your bonnet, then fill the gaps and spray it?

probally because whats the point in fitting cheap tack when a better quality one will last far longer and cost a considerable amount less to fit.

to be fair most fibreglass will need a bit of work due to all the variables introduced by the hand laying process, to get this to fit i would get some big sheets of 90 grit emery cloth (preferably off a roll), tape them to the bonnet and then rub the scoop sticking to the area it is to be attached to, you should be able to get it to fit perfect with minimal filler

to be fair most fibreglass will need a bit of work due to all the variables introduced by the hand laying process, to get this to fit i would get some big sheets of 90 grit emery cloth (preferably off a roll), tape them to the bonnet and then rub the scoop sticking to the area it is to be attached to, you should be able to get it to fit perfect with minimal filler

Hmm, What about cutting the vent out of it? Its so thin it will break?

Yes yes! what a cracking idea.

I was also thinking of putting some sticky tape to it and putting it on a random chavs corsa roof?

Chavs response when he comes to see his Corsa B "Ladz...dare iz a gwad! Luuuk!!!" :D

Just save £130 ish and go buy the real thing

That scoop or whatever it is is awfull and people will point at you and your car, fake air intake screams chav to me :D

Agreed, However i was hoping for a OEM Scoop in the post instead i got that. Its ment to be an OEM copy!

I might just go back the plan of cutting a stock bonnet

Well, it was only a tenner... and not being funny but it was visible from the original pics that it wasn't that great an item, and with most fibreglass items they require a bit of work to fit.... (Doesn't even look OEM in the photos)

PS : I didn't sell it either :)

I don't think its that bad considering, even some of the best name kits/parts need a bit of trimming.

And that would take 15 mins of trimming and fettling to make it fit fine.

Why is it people seem to think that all fibreglass bits should fit like a glove? it is NOT like metal, the process has a lot of variables that dictate the end result, parts can move about during and after drying dependant on storage conditions etc, so it gets blamed on whoever made the part, but it just doesn't work that way.

And no i have no idea who made it, so I'm not sticking up for them, i just have a bit of experience with fibreglass.

Just save £130 ish and go buy the real thing

Raven, if you are just wanting the scoop without all the other fittings, mesh, seals, undertray, etc. then I can supply a genuine Toyota one a lot cheaper than that.

Pm if you want details.

The trouble is its not an airscoop is it, its just a lump of fibreglass that serves no purpose what so ever other than to make you look a dick if you fit it to your car :D

Look at the pics again, there is the shape of the scoop moulded in, you would have to cut it free from the rest.