The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA-T Advice

jimbo482

Hi I was thinking of doing a TT Conversion to my Supra but now thinking of doing a NA/T just to live out the rest of it's life then change it when it does give up?

What advice can you guys give me on what to do? I'm open to suggestions and I don't really want to sell my car as I'm quite attached to it as it is.

Which way is the best way to go?

Also what are the limits of the NA/T horse power wise?

Thanks

Jim :)

its not considered the best route but some have tried it and done ok.......

If you get semi serious i have a downpipe and manifold (unused) you could have cheap if you want them......if you are really keen then I have a whole NA engine you could buy and work on/fit the manifold etc ready to one day drop it in?

you can just do a simple na-t setup. on standard 330 injectors and headgasket you can run upto 9spi of boost , i currently have one at 6 psi and its taken the car from 220 bhp to 330bhp, flywheel. but i was a chaep conversion and it works well and im verry happy with it. if you do decide to go deeper into it you can chuck bigger injectors at it with a 1.3mm head gasket and start working toward some big power figures.

It's been discussed many times, but from a bang for buck the NA-T just doesn't make sense. It'll only ever get slightly beyond BPU power at the upper limit, but will be very expensive to do properly and make it sustainable - it'll be many times the cost of converting to a TT engine.

The cost of converting to NA-T will be around the same as going to BPU levels if you do it frugally and DIY using cut price parts. However, it'll be around 80bhp less bhp with the NA-T compared to BPU TT.

All depends on your budget though - what is it?

I'm not really fussed on price I just want to make the right decision and want something that when it's done, it's done if you understand what I'm saying?

I was looking into purchasing the engine and build on it to make it a little bit more horse power that it was anyway, and then swap the engines over.

I'm just trying to way up some figures too on how much it is going to cost also.

Thanks for the replies guys :)

So it's a definate on the TT transplant then?

Will I need to up rate my brakes and so on then? I know it sounds daft but this will be my first engine change on a car that I've owned, it will be going into a garage for the transition. I know that gearbox will have to be uprated etc (I had a quick look at Mikosupra's thread on the transplant) :D

Thanks

Jim

The TT engine transplant is the only one that makes sense both financially and for future plans.

What gearbox do you have at the moment? Is it the NA auto one?

If your current brakes are well serviced and have good pads and discs the "smaller" ones are absolutely fine for a daily driver even with very big power. They will stop, very well in fact, but only once before they cool off. Just don't try a high speed track day on them ;)

I cannot stress enough that proper discs and pads are the key to making the brakes work to any degree.

Mine is a N/A Auto Homer and yes I agree with you on the brakes advice, mine is regulary serviced and checked by myself, father and a mechanic also with our brake test roller at work for MOT's so it's great for that aspect I recently passed MOT with 36% on the handbrake when the guy said you only need 16% or something and all the brake were well over expectations so I was quite chuffed :D