The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New member looking to buy 1st Supra.

0lly

Hi all. After 4 MR2's I think it's finally time to step up and get a Supra.

I've searched and read a few topics about importing, and will carry on doing so until I have a good idea of the pros and cons.

My budget isn't great, about £5k.

I'd love a TT also, in manual (Along with most people I guess!)

Am I being realistic?

I prefer the auto :) It is smooth and very quick, and unlike most auto's. You do have manual mode on there, which I use quite a bit now, and you can turn overdrive (4th gear) off too. I owned a manual N/A and I really do prefer the auto. I was sceptical too before driving one as everyone is, but you will be surprised, trust me!

My budget isn't great, about £5k.

I'd love a TT also, in manual (Along with most people I guess!)

Am I being realistic?

depends, there have been at least 2 manual tt's i know of that have been had for your budget and not dogs either. But you'll need to be patient, very anal about monitoring the usual sales sites and then very quick to act to get one.

The auto is good and it would be worth at least trying to get a local to show you one, or getting a test drive in one.

If you like rowing, and don't live in a built up area with lots of traffic, a manual i would suggest is king, i drive an auto and dont miss a manual at all, its just as quick, but i am in London, if i lived in the Shires i might have leaned towards a manual.

I own a manual and drive live in london..... :p

If you want the proper sports car experience then it has to be a manual....cant believe we are actually having this pointless discussion yet again ;)

If you cant afford a proper supra (manual) then and only then go for an Auto :)

Oh, and Auto = :lazy:

Hope that helps :D

Edited by imi (see edit history)

Ahh, the auto doesn't sound quite so bad then! Still not as good as the manual but beggars can't be choosers :(

I'll pop down to the next SW meet (if there is one) and ask nicely to have a sit in each to see :innocent:

Ye I bet the auto vs manual debate has been covered over and over and...

Thanks for the tips guys and girls. Still ploughing my way through the .pdf guides :)

I used to be a manual guy with M3/M5 etc in the past when at the time most auto boxes on cars were quite crude 4spd units.

However these days its Auto/triptronic for me and have had the XKR 4.2, family owned 996T (between me & father), Volvo T5 and a few Mercs. All these have been modern sophisticated auto's and they are a absolute joy in every respect. The Supra in comparison is only a 4spd with the overdrive as well so lack the 1-2 gears that the latest cars have, however, its a well designed and a joyful gearbox to use. (I just went out in it this morning trying to get a feel for the car on the very coutry lanes I ride my bike on for sheer fun! In normal 'D' (drive) mode, the box was faultless. In addition to this, you don't get iritated or pissed off when you hit traffic when you have to just take it easy.

Its only in balls out track day conditions that a manual gearbox will give you that few extra % but, outside these conditions I personally can't understand why every tom dick and harry drives a manual for everyday use :think:

Taken that into consideration. Auto's don't sound too bad!

Man that's lovely! Pretty much perfect!

Shame though as it looks like the importer dude has a buyer already.

Black is my No.1 choice, white No.2

Yeh dont let Auto put you off! I brought an FTO auto by accident (long story) but it was a great box and the first auto box sports car I owned. When I saw a Supra auto it was a no brainer! I love to drive and yes driving a manual and shift gears is a nice experience but when your living in London and sitting in traffic or even out of London. You keep wishing for an auto!

BTW This white one is very very cheap and also in mint condition! I think you should consider it!

Yeh dont let Auto put you off! I brought an FTO auto by accident (long story) but it was a great box and the first auto box sports car I owned. When I saw a Supra auto it was a no brainer! I love to drive and yes driving a manual and shift gears is a nice experience but when your living in London and sitting in traffic or even out of London. You keep wishing for an auto!

BTW This white one is very very cheap and also in mint condition! I think you should consider it!

Accidentally?! Ha!

I am seriously considering it. Will give insurance company a call tomorrow and find out the bad news, also a trip to the bank.

Accidentally?! Ha!

I am seriously considering it. Will give insurance company a call tomorrow and find out the bad news, also a trip to the bank.

Try Sky for insurance quotes, not as bad as you think! I am paying £890 a year

for a J-Spec TT & I am 24 living in London!

Try Sky for insurance quotes, not as bad as you think! I am paying £890 a year

for a J-Spec TT & I am 24 living in London!

That's v good! FC or TPFT?

When I tried Sky with the MR2s they couldn't touch my Admiral quotes.

Admiral do good quotes on the Supra as well! That is TPFT and FC was an extra £400.

One of the reasons I managed a good quote is I have 6 years NCB but even without they can do a good quote. They chucked in £1k ICE cover and free courtsey car on claims.

Got a quote today on that TT Import...

£700 fully comp! I think that's very good considering I'm only 21 :)

Think I might make the road trip up on Friday to have a look, I'll be taking some cash too :)

That's if it hasn't gone by then...

Got a quote today on that TT Import...

£700 fully comp! I think that's very good considering I'm only 21 :)

Think I might make the road trip up on Friday to have a look, I'll be taking some cash too :)

That's if it hasn't gone by then...

If it hasn't, I would certainly go and take a look, it's such a bargain :)