The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hello! 20" alloys or...not!

Guest Supra TTM

Guest Supra TTM

Hi I have had my supra for ages but only just joined the club. After 5 years i made the decision to spruce up my supra a bit rather than buy a new car. Was going to get some Mania Vortex-R 20" split rims...any one have these wheels and can tell me about the wheel quality/ride? I have a 1996 manual twin turbo import in Gunmetal.

20" is regarded as a bit to bigger wheel for the supra, even 19" is a bit of a no no with a few members ( I have 19's) not really had any downsides with mine although i've only had them a month or two!

The vortex r's are a nice rim, i opted for the jade r's on mine but wanted the vortex r's but not in 20" version!

I would imagine the ride would be quite bumpy with them on , i'm pretty sure there's a member on here that has the 20" version of the vortex r's on a supra but cant remember his username

Edited by RobD (see edit history)

On a TT, do not do this! The ride quality will be terrible and the handling seriously compromised. 19 inch wheels tend to work okay on cars with a very skilled driver behind the wheel, but 18inch with a close to stock offset is generally considered the largest size you should go for on a daily driver.

Personally I much prefer the ride and handling of the stock 17's over anything else (even on my last T67 car), but then I'm a form over function type of guy.

I've got some 19" Wheelmania Vortex Evo's fitted they do the job for me and the ride quality is still pretty good...not great. Depends what your wanting...if it's looks the 19" MAX...if you bought the supra for the ride and handling then i'd say 18"

Forget the 20". 19" can work very well on the Supra. The do's and donts are........

Buy LIGHTweight FORGED wheels, as cheap heavy stuff drive like crap on a supra and will slow your car down and detract from the handling.

DONT get all arsy about offsets, they are not THAT important and there is room for a bit of variance up to 12mm from std.

Buy Quality tyres, eg Bridgestone RE050A, make aure they are not run flats, fitting 19" and using sureslide's, e.g. nangkang and wannlee etc will handle like a bucket of crap on a tightrope.

Make sure the wheel you buy will clear your brake calipers.

I have used 17 18 and 19, and love the 19" I have, however, I have also come across the lesser equiped 19" cars with crap wheels and tyres and they just a mess.

ESSENTIAL is a new geometry setup. No point using 17" settings either, if you dont your wasting your money. Good luck :)