The mkiv Supra Owners Club

No front number plate... opinions.

Dave_SZ-R

It was a relatively nice day today, so thought Id give the car a wee tidy up. Had a go at bleeding the PAS system first, as its been a little 'buzzy' recently. Checked all fluids, and changed all my front bulbs to nice icy white/ blue ones.

Decided to remove my front plate, just to see how the front end looked without. Ive got a self-adhesive, stick-on style plate which I was gonna put on, but Ive decided to leave it plateless just now, what do you guys think:

de-plated! 002.jpg

de-plated! 005.jpg

Looks very clean, and with the plate off it looks even more clean!

Whats the law side of driving around without the number plate off? I use to do it on my civic before and got around 2 years without having to put it on an using the "it fell off officer" excuse...

Edited by Abz (see edit history)

Looks very clean, and with the plate off it looks even more clean!

Whats the law side of driving around without the number plate off? I use to do it on my civic before and got around 2 years

without having to put it on an using the "it fell off officer" excuse...

Like I said, Ive got a self-adhesive one, which Im gonna carry around in the car. Should I be pulled, Ill just get out and stick that on! I dont think you can get endorsements for not having a front plate, and it does look tidier without the plate on.

If I do decide to put the self-adhesive one on, where should it go:

-In the 'mouth' bit of the bumper

-On the leading edge of the bonnet?

Put the reg plate in the windscreen, claim it fell off.

Otherwise, small inport style plate in the "mouth" or on the lowest part of the front bumper where it'll last about 5 mins!

This messes up the dash though. Granted it tidies up the front end but makes a mess of another area. Abit like when people 'smooth' the rear tailgates, only to put the plate on the bottom of the bumper with a cheap number plate light :blink:

I never used a front plate with a do-luck front - for 4 years. They never look good on that front no matter how you do it.

Only got pulled for it twice in that time after doing 36k miles. You cannot even be fined for it, but can have your plate taken away after 3 written rectification notices. Just fit one after the 2nd warning if you are unlucky :D The funny thing is, you can get points for fitting an illegally sized one, so as quite a few of the coppers have advised, you're better off not having one than going that route.

It does look tidy but you shold be displaying a reg plate. I had the front plate fall off on an old Celica and the cops pulled me for it, gave me a rectification note, so had to get a new plate made and have it tested/singned by an MOT place immediately as I was on my way to p/ex the car.

You cannot even be fined for it, but can have your plate taken away after 3 written rectification notices.
I don't think that right mate. I'm pretty sure you can get fined £30 for no front number plate (or rear I guess).

Also, isn't the having reg number revoked only when you've misrepresented the number? (odd spacing or font etc)

just recently had a letter from the hoolies, got flashed by a camera van.... apparently no front plate.

bollox it was in my windscreen. got a warning letter with the threat of a 30 quid fine if i was caught after 7 days. the stupid thing is that ive driven past hoolies for ages without a plate and havnt been stopped.

I never used a front plate with a do-luck front - for 4 years. They never look good on that front no matter how you do it.

Only got pulled for it twice in that time after doing 36k miles. You cannot even be fined for it, but can have your plate taken away after 3 written rectification notices. Just fit one after the 2nd warning if you are unlucky :D The funny thing is, you can get points for fitting an illegally sized one, so as quite a few of the coppers have advised, you're better off not having one than going that route.

I remember you mentioning that you ran yours with no front plate for a while Homer. If I do get pulled, Ill just put my self-adhesive one on. Its the vinyl type, as seen on the Impreza in the attched pic.

Anyone got a pic of a plate located in this position on a Supra?

scoob.jpg