The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New panel filter for ARC airbox, advice needed..

Kev_A

Thought I'd better make a new thread on this as I don't think people will look far enough in my pic thread of the box.

The stock Arc filter is just a little too pricey for my liking, even from Nic it's looking like £70!

So I started to explore the option of a K&N filter of similar size...

On K&N's website there is a facility to enter the dimensions of the filter you require, it then displays the closest matches to you're criteria.

Unfortunately, as expected there isn't anything of a 100% match, the closest I can find to the measurments Gaz gave me (bang on by the way mate! ;) ) Lenth = 236mm Width = 200mm and height (Measured from the paper filter that's in there at the moment) 40mm is the following....

Height = 29mm

Width = 197mm

Length = 235mm

This is meant for a: MERCEDES SLK 200 (UK) / SLK 230 2.3L I4 KOMPRESOR (US) 98-99MERCEDES SLK 200 (UK) / SLK 230 2.3L I4 KOMPRESOR (US) 98-99

Next up is

Height = 25mm

Width = 203mm

Length = 235mm

This is meant for a: HYUNDAI GRANDEUR TG 2.7L-V6; 2005

The Mercedes filter will undoubtedly fit straight in, the Hyundai item may just squeeze in there, being just 3mm wider then what's in at the moment, the K&N measurments go from outside lip to outside lip, that rubber frame they have around the top of them, then the height goes from the bottom of the filter to the top of the rubber lip.

Like this...

http://www.knfilters.com/search/images/OEMStyleG.gif

A = Outside length

B = Outside width

H = Height

The other thing I had wondered about was the height, again, the filter that's in there at the moment is 40mm, will fitting a thinner filter matter? surely it's just less mass for the air to travel through?

What do you all think?

Length and width aside, the height difference will just effectively lessen the surface area, as the pleats will not be as deep. What effect the height difference may have on the sealing into the box I don't know, I am not familiar with them. My garden tractor mower (Iseki) needs a new air filter, it's only a 2 cylinder diesel, but Iseki want 76 quid for an air filter. I am going to glue a common car one on to the base plate taken from the dirty filter, and save myself nearly 70 quid ;)

So do you think either of those will be ok providing they fit? There is a metal frame which bolts over the top of the filter ( 6 bolts) this stops the filter from falling out, if I went for the Hyundai one the seal should be tighter as it'll be more of a squeeze to fit width ways (only 3mm)