The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Speakers whine when accelerating

Duffman

My speakers have a high pitched whine when I accelerate...then more I accelerate the higher it gets.

I had a huge amp fitted in the boot when I bought the car along with ths sub but removed the sub as it was too high for the low boot...so was sticking up into the boot blind. Was going to remove the amp but it has been wired into the front and rear speakers under the carpet by the looks of things...so looks like a bit of a job to remove.

I disconnected the amp in the boot and hey presto the whining has stopped...but what is the reason for this?

It's a 1200w 5 channel amp so it's pretty powerful...maybe to powerful for the speakers.

Also it has loads of switches and dials all over it which I do not have a clue how to set...maybe they need adjusted.

Could be some kind of ground loop or something. I think thats basicly noise picked up from other things grounded through the chassis. You can get ground loop isolators for a few quid from places like maplins that connect between the headunit and the amps audio cable that might help. I had this problem on my old car when i had a pc hooked up to the Aux input - ground loop isolator fixed it good and proper.