The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Buying Supra NEED ADVICE

pf85

Hi,

I was thinking about going to see a supra in Scotland (Im from Ireland) But would like a bit of advice from some supra owners before I make the purchase as I have never driven one before. It is a Uk spec and has been converted to single turbo with aprox 113k miles. If you have any advice for me let me know and I can pm you more details about the car's spec etc

Thanks

Don't know about what to check for with a single kit but for a supra in general I'd probably start with wear patterns on the tyres as most supra's I looked at had unusual wear from dodgy suspension upgrades and massive wheels. Would then check panel gaps and look for signs of filler. Look for rust (of all the cars I've ever had the supra is the best for corrosion resistance). Would check the idle for weird noises and/or misfire's. Buying a single when you don't have much experience of supra's in general must be making you very nervous! where in scotland is the car you want?

Yes Ive never owned one and am worried about buying one that will give me alot of trouble plus burning a big hole in my pocket!! Ive been taken for a drive in a NA supra and a 400bhp Silvia before. The car is Renfrewshire near Glasgow.

It is a JZA80 UK SPEC

Link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170343125123

Id like to hear any opinions and your views on the car.

Edited by pf85 (see edit history)

On the face of it, the car sounds quite reasonable and looks good in the picture. He hasn't taken any pictures of the scrapes of the drivers side, so I'd be thinking along teh lines of a panel(s) respray rather than touch up.

Also it doesn't mention the service history, which is vital, but its a daft oversight if he does have it. I'd say post a question and ask him to detail the car's service history, bear in mind if he's a mechanic he will have done it himself but it should still be listed.

Ive asked him about this and if I can recall I think it has a full history up to around 70k or more but after that he has done all the work himself and therefore it is not recorded in the service records.. He has listed the work carried out in description.

Yes I would imagine the whole side of the car would need resprayed to repair the scratches.

On the face of it, the car sounds quite reasonable and looks good in the picture. He hasn't taken any pictures of the scrapes of the drivers side, so I'd be thinking along teh lines of a panel(s) respray rather than touch up.

Also it doesn't mention the service history, which is vital, but its a daft oversight if he does have it. I'd say post a question and ask him to detail the car's service history, bear in mind if he's a mechanic he will have done it himself but it should still be listed.

has he given you a price for which he will sell for?

Personally thats a car that I would definateky at the very least be interested in viewing if I wanted a Uk TT. However make sur eyou know the prices of UK TT's and what it will cost to have any body work done to the car and factor that into the price you pay.

I have not settled on a price with him yet- How much do you reckon it would be worth? I dont mind getting the paint work done as I know a bodywork expert who will do it for a reasonable price.. My main worry is any mechanical work and petrol!! :eyebrows:

has he given you a price for which he will sell for?

Personally thats a car that I would definateky at the very least be interested in viewing if I wanted a Uk TT. However make sur eyou know the prices of UK TT's and what it will cost to have any body work done to the car and factor that into the price you pay.

Looks dodgy to me TBH... I don't like the sound of the turbo kit.

Indeed, I'd be VERY wary of buying this one.

- XS Power kit with the Huge hotside/tiny compressor turbo. Good for about 400 bhp only.

- Auto box (well not really much of an issue with that turbo!)

- HKS FCON ecu, very few available to map these

However, all depends on the price. You'd be better off buying one with stock TT's than one with that single conversion kit.

The price (4200) is already lots more than I'd want to pay, given the fact it's a UK car, and will have seen plenty of salt, and the fact it has a junk turbo kit and no proper management system. I could almost guarantee it will burn a hole in your pocket :) Either find a properly modded one, or buy a stock, fresh import and look after it, is my advice.

Thanks for all your help! It caught my eye as it is the colour I was looking for and is UK spec but I think I will pass on this one due to the turbo and management issues raised..

I was looking for a UK Spec for insurance reasons mostly. My budget is up to around £8000 as I need to run a second car and cant afford to be spending too much on it. :(

Indeed, I'd be VERY wary of buying this one.

- XS Power kit with the Huge hotside/tiny compressor turbo. Good for about 400 bhp only.

- Auto box (well not really much of an issue with that turbo!)

- HKS FCON ecu, very few available to map these

However, all depends on the price. You'd be better off buying one with stock TT's than one with that single conversion kit.

There has recently been a thread on here regarding this car and i seem to remember Jamie P making a comment similar to Homer regarding the turbo .

I was looking for a UK Spec for insurance reasons mostly. My budget is up to around £8000 as I need to run a second car and cant afford to be spending too much on it. :(

There's a few UK spec ones for sale in our classifieds section, take a look, you may need to flick through the first few pages!