The mkiv Supra Owners Club

4000 grit metal sandpaper

trinitom

ebay or detailing world will have high quality very fine grit papers available. Meguiers (sp) 3000 grit is the finest I've managed to find. It's a bit pointless going even that far when working metal, you'll get a far better finish using a polisher than just paper (which will always leave marks)

PS: Did you buy that carpet from Nizam? :D

ebay or detailing world will have high quality very fine grit papers available. Meguiers (sp) 3000 grit is the finest I've managed to find. It's a bit pointless going even that far when working metal, you'll get a far better finish using a polisher then just paper (which will always leave marks)

I have started with 250 grit than 400 and finally 1200 and in the end with a polishing cloth wheel and Tcut, it doesn't look bad to be honest but i would like to give a try with 3000 or 4000 grit.

Or a buffer wheel and animal fat, like soap. I use to do stainless steel fabrication, and when we did mirror polish we used a buffer wheel.

like this : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-x1-2-Metal-Polishing-Kit-Brass-Aluminium-NFK0-4001_W0QQitemZ280322745423QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item414489a44f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1683|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

It will take u weeks with 4000 paper.

Or a buffer wheel and animal fat, like soap. I use to do stainless steel fabrication, and when we did mirror polish we used a buffer wheel.

like this : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-x1-2-Metal-Polishing-Kit-Brass-Aluminium-NFK0-4001_W0QQitemZ280322745423QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item414489a44f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1683|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

It will take u weeks with 4000 paper.

woo is one of that kits i have seen!

they seem to be good for mirror finish, can the mops be attached to a drill?

i have a Dremel but i don't think it will do the job with that mops!

ebay or detailing world will have high quality very fine grit papers available. Meguiers (sp) 3000 grit is the finest I've managed to find. It's a bit pointless going even that far when working metal, you'll get a far better finish using a polisher than just paper (which will always leave marks)

yep, special offer!! :D

this guy is very famous!!

Save your fingers the effort and buy a kit that attaches to a drill. Similar to what Alaing posted but i would use slightly different mops and compounds personally.

Assuming you have removed all cast marks from the part:

Use a sisal mop and supercut 40 compound or maybe tripoli (more likely in this instance)you will be able to remove 240 - 400 grit scratches from the cast ally.

Then once all scratches are removed give the part a good wash to remove any stubborn debris or compound.

Move on to a white stich mop with sovereign green compound - again remove all marks from the previous stage during this stage.

This may be shiny enough for you although it may have some fine swirl marks.

If you want a slightly higher lustre move on to a calico g and blue compound to finish off moving gently across the part to remove the final very fine spiderweb marks.

Clean the part with a microfibre cloth and some lime powder.

Then wax the hell out of it with a good quality cloth (i used cotton wool to apply the wax) and a microfibre cloth to buff off.

Don't mix compounds on the mops, don't over apply the compound (little and often is key).

Remember to use a good quality dust mask, eye protection and gloves. A sisal will burn through your skin very quickly, trust me i know !

A kit like this will have more scope if you do more parts (budget metal polishing kit):

http://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/acatalog/Standard_Polishing_Kits.html

The stuff Heckler is on about is called micromesh and can be v expensive, but it can go upto about 12000 grit.

Exactly how much do you need though, a little or alot as i may have some lying around if all you need is a small amount.

thats the stuff! couldnt remember the name...