The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Really is time to lower...Gmax?

Duffman

Been thinking that the Supra could do with sitting a bit lower for some time now...especially at the front as it seems to sit higher.

Just had my wheels refurbished in satin black and as I have a black car it seems to make it look like it's sitting even higher so it is time to get it lowered a bit.

I ain't planning on splashig out on coilovers at the moment so a set of springs would do fine.

Have seen these ones but they are pretty cheap so don't know if this could affect the quality http://www.extremeautoaccessories.co.uk/products.php?section=1886

If anyone could give me any advice it would be appreciated

If you're fitting shorter harder springs to the original shocks that are 16 years old, don't expect them to hold up too well. you could easily find that within a very short time, all your shocks will be knackered and will require replacing.

IMHO, you will be better off paying out for a set of coilovers and do it properly. I found that standard shocks with lowering springs ruin the ride and actually make it more crashy and hard than a set of coilovers. I have the HSD's on mine, they're not even on the softest setting and ride beautifully. I bought the car with them already fitted and couldn't believe how brilliant the ride is. I highly recommend them.

If you're fitting shorter harder springs to the original shocks that are 16 years old, don't expect them to hold up too well. you could easily find that within a very short time, all your shocks will be knackered and will require replacing.

IMHO, you will be better off paying out for a set of coilovers and do it properly. I found that standard shocks with lowering springs ruin the ride and actually make it more crashy and hard than a set of coilovers. I have the HSD's on mine, they're not even on the softest setting and ride beautifully. I bought the car with them already fitted and couldn't believe how brilliant the ride is. I highly recommend them.

What are they retailing at?

May go for coilovers at a later date but not at the moment unless I get a 2nd hand set in good condition

Eibach pro kit on my car with o/e dampers and no problems, these lower the car approx 30mm at the front and 25mm at the rear.

Dampers are approx £100 each and the springs approx £250

Just to add the stock set up are coilovers just not plaform adjustable.

If you lower the car you will need to adjust toe and camber at the same time

I've got Gmax lowering springs and Bilstein Yellow shocks and my car sits far too low. I scrape the underneath of the front bumper (JDL) a lot, can't go near a speed bump or certain bumpy roads, and I had to find a garage with a completely flat drive-on lift for the MOT as the first place I tried damaged the front bumper trying to get it on the ramp.

Replacing this setup with HSDs or a Chris Wilson setup is next on my list, so I'd say avoid the Gmax springs.

I've got Gmax lowering springs and Bilstein Yellow shocks and my car sits far too low. I scrape the underneath of the front bumper (JDL) a lot, can't go near a speed bump or certain bumpy roads, and I had to find a garage with a completely flat drive-on lift for the MOT as the first place I tried damaged the front bumper trying to get it on the ramp.

Replacing this setup with HSDs or a Chris Wilson setup is next on my list, so I'd say avoid the Gmax springs.

Thanks for that Cravo