The mkiv Supra Owners Club

bleeding the cooling system

Guest ro66ie

Not sure whats best but this is what i'd do...........

Car cold....

Front on ramps, or parked on a slope (basically front end high)

Heater turned to fully on.

Cut off plastic drinks bottle gaffa taped to the top of the rad and topped up.

Run the car, hopefully some bubbles out through this temp reservoir........

Before it gets too hot as the system is not under pressure, switch off replace rad cap and make sure the expansion tank is filled to the full marker and then take the car out for a hard drive.

There's absolutely no need to "bleed" a standard MKIV cooling system, it self bleeds just fine. Run it at idle up to full temp with the heater on hot and keep topping up until the rad is hot and full. Close the rad cap, top the expansion bottle to the line. Job done. A quick check after a run when it's gone cold again is reassuring.

Guest ro66ie

thanks ive just removed the thermostat for the summer and the car seems to be fine now, had to top the overflow up today, but only a pint full

Removing the `stat is a very bad idea, the engine will almost certainly fail to reach correct running temps, and if it DOES reach them it will take ages. It will run rich during this time, with excess engine wear and fuel consumption. It's a bypass type `stat, too, which makes it even worse if you remove it...

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

There's absolutely no need to "bleed" a standard MKIV cooling system, it self bleeds just fine. Run it at idle up to full temp with the heater on hot and keep topping up until the rad is hot and full. Close the rad cap, top the expansion bottle to the line. Job done. A quick check after a run when it's gone cold again is reassuring.

Chris, What is your opinion about the need to give the car a drive before the system "bleeds" fully (and this is from a system that was completely drained, including the matrix)?

I'm not able to drive mine more than 30 foot at a time as it's not MOT'd but although the heater gets up to temp there isn't too much hot air getting into the cabin. There appears to be an air lock in the return hose from the heater matrix.

Guest ro66ie

all these people who have boasted about doing this many times and going 150 mph and putting this turbo on and that turbo and never do anything for there selves..... not giving things a try with there cars and getting other people to do the work and then having a go at me for trying DO MY FUCKING HEAD IN....(smarty)!!!....because my car was overheating and taking the thermostat out has cured it for now..........Thanks wilson

Guest ro66ie

apparently there are alot of people answering this question that really don't know what they are talking about. Removing the thermostat removes the cars ability to make the heater in the the car work. It holds the engine coolant in the engine instead of letting it flow to the radiator where it will cool down and allows the coolant to warm up which is what allows the car to blow heat into the compartment. If the thermostat gets stuck, Then the coolant never flows to the radiator and stays in the engine and superheats which will ruin your engine by cracking the head. BUT, removing the thermostat allows the coolant to constantly flow to the radiator and through the fins in the radiator cooling it constantly and never allowing the coolant to get warm enough to generate enough heat for inside the car

Removing the thermostat removes the cars ability to make the heater in the the car work.

BUT, removing the thermostat allows the coolant to constantly flow to the radiator and through the fins in the radiator cooling it constantly and never allowing the coolant to get warm enough to generate enough heat for inside the car

This, is utter horseshit.

The thermostat will open itself and allow water to the radiator when the engine is hot enough, thats its job, its designed to do that. As 'Wilson' one of the most knowledgable people on this forum, posted.

Just google it http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question248.htm

apparently there are alot of people answering this question that really don't know what they are talking about. Removing the thermostat removes the cars ability to make the heater in the the car work. It holds the engine coolant in the engine instead of letting it flow to the radiator where it will cool down and allows the coolant to warm up which is what allows the car to blow heat into the compartment. If the thermostat gets stuck, Then the coolant never flows to the radiator and stays in the engine and superheats which will ruin your engine by cracking the head. BUT, removing the thermostat allows the coolant to constantly flow to the radiator and through the fins in the radiator cooling it constantly and never allowing the coolant to get warm enough to generate enough heat for inside the car

If I read this correctly you're wrong, the thermostat is only there to allow the engine to heat up while water temps are cool. Once the water temp has reached full (or near) tempurature it opens to allow normal operation and full flow through the system.

If the thermostat is removed, then in colder conditions the engine temp will be below target and will run rich (temp correction). I'm seeing this on my car now as the stat is removed, it's running very rich. If the car is up to temp it will run as normal because the stat is open.

I don't understand why removing the stat will make any difference once the car is up to temp (unless I'm missing something!)

Removing the `stat is a very bad idea, the engine will almost certainly fail to reach correct running temps, and if it DOES reach them it will take ages. It will run rich during this time, with excess engine wear and fuel consumption. It's a bypass type `stat, too, which makes it even worse if you remove it...

all these people who have boasted about doing this many times and going 150 mph and putting this turbo on and that turbo and never do anything for there selves..... not giving things a try with there cars and getting other people to do the work and then having a go at me for trying DO MY FUCKING HEAD IN....(smarty)!!!....because my car was overheating and taking the thermostat out has cured it for now..........Thanks wilson

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

apparently there are alot of people answering this question that really don't know what they are talking about. Removing the thermostat removes the cars ability to make the heater in the the car work.

Apparently not as little as you know about cooling systems....

The thermostat has no effect on the heater matrix water flow WHATSOEVER!!!! The thermostat regulates what goes to the front radiator.

Ive been filled full of shit lol and i wasnt having a go at wilson i was slating smarty

Either which way, a few "fairly knowledgeable people" have stated taking it out is a bad idea and why, but you have chosen to ignore their advice and then wonder why people get funny?

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=2406725&postcount=9

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=2411584&postcount=10

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=2411468&postcount=5