The mkiv Supra Owners Club

extra gear on my 4 speed auto

Dave

ive noticed it before but i thought id ask if any else has noticed this

when coming out of work i go up a slight gradient in D with o/d off

just before reaching the top of hill @ 40 mph i click the o/d to on and it drops into another gear which isnt 2nd or L and as i level off it goes into o/d

can anyone explain ??????

Edited by Dave (see edit history)

mine does something similar. If i'm doing 60 with o/d on and I push on the throttle slightly it feels like it drops down a gear, yet it I then turn o/d off it immediately hooks 3rd so it hadn't actually dropped a gear but it felt like it did.

yes thats it ----garethr havent got tc

if it dropped into 2nd at 40 -50 you know the revs would shoot up

I think I know what you mean, as sometimes I feel there's a 3.5 gear just between 3 and O/D, because of the way it seems to smoothly go from O/D down to 3rd, but then there's another one there before it gets back into O/D again.

Maybe that is 2nd, but it's not hectic enough to be 2nd, as I'm sure the revs would shoot up. :search:

What a clever box it is :)

We already know that. We were describing the feeling you get in an auto when your in o/d and give it slightly more throttle, a slight shunt like a gear change with an increase in rpm, which has already been identified by gareth as the torque converter.

Great

Guest Garfy

its the torque converter locking, it does that when you maintain a steady speed, to sav fuel, you will notice the revs drop about 500rpm ish

Didn't seem like you were to far ahead to me, seemed like you seen a thread and either decided to state the obvious or didn't read the previous responses and misunderstood the question, but whatever makes you feel good bud.

Psst. Ask him how much his car has cost him. :sly: