The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Registration plate on Top Secret bumper

martini

I might be buying a Supra with a Top Secret front bumper recently fitted.

Currently, the registration plate is taped to the inside of the front window, passenger's side.

a) Just how illegal is this

b) Where/how can I get a plate installed?

c) Are the stick on registrations illegal?

Well i had a TS kit on mine and what i did was stuck a small ( cutdown) number plate on the bumper itself using double sided tape.

See the attached pic which gives u an idea.

Never had a problem really myself with the police and had it like that for nearly 2 yrs!

dsc00532.jpg

I have a TS front, and I have a standard size UK plate on the front, which I hate! I have been thinking about it for ages, whether to just mount an import size square plate in the same place, or get a really small plate put somewhere, I don't want to get pulled over all the time though!

Don't worry about the location of the plate, but worry about the viewing angle.\

I think the police will tell you that the plate has to be visible from about 30 feet (It may be more than that, I've tried a brief Google but my skills today are weak). If you drive past an ANPR camera van and it can't pick it up from a certain range they'll pull you in if they're dragging cars in further down the road on spot checks.

IMHO the two places to mount there on your front bumper for 100% legal goodness would be teh top window you have but a bit further down and mounted completely vertical, or like some do-luck bumpers just below that in front of the intercooler do you have some holes to mount brackets to then mount a plate to?

EDIT : Supragirlie's plate is in a legal position. Admittedly it'll mess with airflow to any FMIC though.

I wouldn't have to take the beasty off to do that would I? I have industrial velcro, but I guess some kind of metal bracket might be better... though I don't have access to stuff like that really.

Don't worry about the location of the plate, but worry about the viewing angle... IMHO the two places to mount there on your front bumper for 100% legal goodness would be teh top window you have but a bit further down and mounted completely vertical...

Quite right. I don't want to break any laws! I don't actually have the car yet, so don't know about bumpers.

At the moment the reg is stuck to the inside of the windscreen. I have industrial velcro which would stick it to the bumper quite nicely I think.

Might well go for window area1 (top) and try to stick it as vertically as possible.

Edited by martini (see edit history)

Industrial velcro works quite well if you can put it somewhere legal. I did have it on my do-luck front.

Awesome. Thanks for the tip. I will have a think about it. I might stick it on somewhere convenient somehow, at the most normal angle to the road.

I have a TS-3 front with drop down brackets fitted in the FMIC cavity - see garage pics;)

Nice. I wouldn't know where to start on that... where is it possible to buy one? Looks cool. Not sure which replica bumper I have.

Awesome. Thanks for the tip. I will have a think about it. I might stick it on somewhere convenient somehow, at the most normal angle to the road.

Nice. I wouldn't know where to start on that... where is it possible to buy one? Looks cool. Not sure which replica bumper I have.

Two medium sized L-brackets drilled to the underside of the bumper will do the job;) Very easy to fit

Don't worry about the location of the plate, but worry about the viewing angle.\

I think the police will tell you that the plate has to be visible from about 30 feet (It may be more than that, I've tried a brief Google but my skills today are weak). If you drive past an ANPR camera van and it can't pick it up from a certain range they'll pull you in if they're dragging cars in further down the road on spot checks.

IMHO the two places to mount there on your front bumper for 100% legal goodness would be teh top window you have but a bit further down and mounted completely vertical, or like some do-luck bumpers just below that in front of the intercooler do you have some holes to mount brackets to then mount a plate to?

EDIT : Supragirlie's plate is in a legal position. Admittedly it'll mess with airflow to any FMIC though.

The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001........ AS FOLLOWS.....

"(3) This paragraph requires the plate to be fixed -

(a) vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable,

(b) in such a position that in normal daylight the characters of the registration mark are easily distinguishable from every part of a relevant area having the diagonal length specified in paragraph (4)"

"(4) The diagonal length of the relevant area is -

(a) in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is at least 57 millimetres, 22 metres,

(b) in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 50 millimetres, 21.5 metres,

© in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 44 millimetres, 18 metres."

You are allowed 44mm characters see the following link to craigs plates.....

http://www.craigsplates.com/import-number-plates.html

Two medium sized L-brackets drilled to the underside of the bumper will do the job;) Very easy to fit

It's getting/making them that would bugger me... unless you know someone that would knock-up a pair? ;)

Damn useful thread btw guys - thanks for all the replies.

I ran with my plate in the front window for 9 months, 1 £30 fine was all I got, but got so fed up with police hassle, I drilled holes in each corner and cable tied it to the mesh (JUN Front), Can now take it off for shows etc. Only prob as pointed out with this position it does slightly block air flow to FMIC :( but its either that or police hassle. Never been a fan of the stick on plates and again as pointed out the plate needs to sir vertically flat and be readable.

I ran with my plate in the front window for 9 months, 1 £30 fine ...

Yeh, I would hate a £30 fine or to be pulled over... especially immediately after buying it!

It had a stock bumper, so comes with a normal plate. I will either go have a look in Halfords for something, or just stick it to the very front of the car. I reckon I might be able to get it near vertical.

EDIT: Just looked in your garage. My car will NEVER look as good as yours for shows and things, so velcroing it on isn't really a biggy!

Umm velcro, I thought about that option, but was worried about loosing the plate on the motorway or something.

Thanks for the comments, but trust me its nothing special, I have hit a dead end with the car due to lack on funds :(

If I could have an ICE install half that good, it would be ace. Looks amazing. I could do with sorting out a sub one day, but first thing is first - I need side skirts!

The velcro is industrial stuff. It's frigging strong.

This was mine:

Got pulled over once for it and police thanked me for trying to get a plate on it as they new it was an import and that most imports dont have a front plate.

I also carried a proper plate that screwed into the same holes as the small one in case if any wanted me to swap it.

Never had to use it though.

Mine is fitted with a 90 degree bracket from B+Q about £1 each and some industrial strength double sided tape.

I have only been stoped once, but I have a legal one on the back seat and told the copper I hadn't had chance to fit it. I am sure he knew I was bulls**ting and he has seen me since and not bother me.

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

Going to try and figure out this stuff from http://opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/20022687.htm - I am having a bomex fitted and dont know exactly where to fit, where is legal, what I can and cannot do etc.. Should make for some nice nightime reading!

From what ive gathered so far on these forums....

Driving without one in visible sight on the front = max £30 fine and producer - no points

Driving with one visible in the windscreen = £30 fine + 3 points + producer

Driving with one not mounted vertically = £30 fine + 3 points + producer

Driving with one not meeting regulations (size, angle, spacing) = £30 fine + 3 points + producer

....And to be very polite and helpful if/when stopped (which I always am :) )

so.. when I pick my car up.. I figure ill drive with the number plate in the back seat until I get home, then figure out where to put it! pretty convinced ill get stopped though because I look young (blessing and a curse!) - but my original plate is damaged so need to get a new one too :(