The mkiv Supra Owners Club

hitting limit in auto

Guest stinkinpoor

Guest stinkinpoor

hi there, quite new to the supra thing so I have no idea if this is common, but...

when attempting to accelerate to top speed, the car seems to run in to some kind of limit at about 120ish. It seems to be a a rev limit though because as soon as it gets there the car backs right off.

The car is a stock j-spec tt auto. The only mods being a 3" bore cat back exhaust and an air filter. I purchased it like this.

The box was set to o/d on and manual off.

Could it be a faulty speed sensor causing this. As I have a spare to replace with.

Thanks

p.s tried search but couldn't come up with anything similar.

Guest stinkinpoor

it seemed to reach its rev limit, would this happen i its still limited? was hoping that would be what it was though. Faulty speed sensor wouldn't cause any of the above then, just for the od light to flash on and off (annoying). thanks though will check it out.

What revs were you at when doing 120? I think that is around the limit of 3rd gear. Or you could have hit fuel cut, but unlikely if not decat, so maybe your car is still limited. You can get an electronic box which will delimit the car and then you'll be able to get much higher speeds.

Guest stinkinpoor

o/d is definitely on but as the sensor is malfunctioning and flashing o/d off in the display omtermitently maybe this could have an effect?