The mkiv Supra Owners Club

temp gauge creeping up

Guest ro66ie

Guest ro66ie

Hey up people

Right were to start?....I have changed my NA headgasket two months ago, and over heated it again recent, so i split the block again to see if i cooked the headgasket again! All was fine...and while driving it for a bit last week it started overheating, i saw a leak in the radiator so i have replaced it with a new radiator with a bigger capacity fired it up today in the garden and it was overheating........+ the top hose is warm and the bottom hose is cold while the car is overheating...please help thanx

Guest ro66ie

i have removed the thermostat...there isnt even one in..(for the summer)

i am very handy with my hands and can fix owt but diagnosing things is why im on ere asking other supra owners who have had these problems :)

I had this problem a while back... did u jack the front end of the car up when you refilled the rad? that way the rad cap is the highest point in the chain and all air will naturally head that way.

Make sure the engine is warm also, else the thermostat wont be open, which will cause an airlock when it does open.

If you wanna do it the messy way, (which works brilliantly!) get the car up to temperature... make sure u have thick waterproof gloves on and loads of cloths to cover the engine bay with... gentely open the rad cap... at this point my rad cap shot clean into the air... it will bubble alot and spit alot.. when it settles... put more water in. it will probs spit again.. keep doing it till shes full up and not spitting...

Guest ro66ie

cheers everyone :)...gonna take top hose off at rad end and fill up the system till it is continually running then put all the hoses on and then start my engine bring it up to heat and top it up gently...nice and steady...did this work for you alex james?

cheers everyone :)...gonna take top hose off at rad end and fill up the system till it is continually running then put all the hoses on and then start my engine bring it up to heat and top it up gently...nice and steady...did this work for you alex james?

Yep that would of worked too... not sure about yours but with my rad I couldnt fill it up to the full with just the top hose off... I needed the cap off....

The other option is to squeeze the bottom pipe to get excess air out... but make sure your not stood near the boiling water when it shoots out :D let us know how u get on!