The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What kit is this?

martini

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair do's :) have you tried an auto yet out of interest?

Can't lie.... I haven't. People keep saying how great they are but I haven't ever driven an auto in my life. I guess it's each to their own.

If I can't find a good manual NA for under £5k before Christmas, then I will look for an aerotop I suppose!

Try one becuase I thought exatly the same when I was looking and I love mine, had it 5 years now and still not bored :)

What is it about the auto supra that you love? Just putting it in gear and then just hands on the wheel all day? I can see the appeal of the auto, I really can... I do like changing gears though!

What is it about the auto supra that you love? Just putting it in gear and then just hands on the wheel all day? I can see the appeal of the auto, I really can... I do like changing gears though!

I know its different on an N/A but the 6-speed I tried I found very notchy and harsh. I tried the auto and it was effortless, its a real comfy easy drive and you are never stuck at any speed....pin it and you are off at speed. Im convinced that from a roll someone in a 6-speed would have to be very good at shifting to match the gear change on the auto.

If you want involvement and have plans for a lot more power the 6-speed wins all day long. But for a comfy effortless drive its the auto :) imo

If you want involvement and have plans for a lot more power the 6-speed wins all day long. But for a comfy effortless drive its the auto :) imo

I guess this is the dilemma. Do I go for the auto NA and get say, this really nice one, or keep looking for a manual NA and bump it to bigger power in the future... or will I just sell either and get a TT in the future anyway!?

Then there's the drive. I want to drive for fun at weekends and will also be doing the M62 a lot. Auto does have some appeal, I'll be honest.

I need to drive both I guess... just need to find them now! (not having a car makes viewings hard!)

I used to have an auto TT. Absolutely brilliant car, wafted around town effortlessly, no stress, no bother, totally relaxed and well behaved. Brilliant fun when you planted your foot too. If you spend a lot of time in traffic, I would recommend and auto over a manual. You don't have to worry about clutches either. The only time I wished I had a manual was on country lane hooning, when you want more than 3 gears to play with.

I now have a 6sp BPU TT, but this is not my everyday car. (I've only driven it twice in 3 months of ownership :( ) This car, (when it's finished) will only be coming out on sunny show off tastic weekends and for meets/shows, so it's not likely to stress me out on congested journeys into work. When I do bring her out though, I want the full bore caffine loaded caboodle driving experience, so the 6 sp was the way to go.

If you're using the car on a regular basis, I strongly suggest you try an auto.

Excellent post, thank you so much :)

If you're using the car on a regular basis, I strongly suggest you try an auto.

This part stood out for me. I cycle to work everyday and I will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

The supra will just be a toy for me, for country lanes, sunny days and the M62 journey to visit my girlfriend. There's potential for it not to be driven for 10 days straight (doubt I could resist!) as we alternate weekend visits.

Sounds like the manual actually would suit me more in the long run, but that for other people, especially daily drivers, the auto might be the way to go :)

I have owned a manual N/A and a few auto Supra's, and it's auto everytime for me. The Supra is the first auto I have ever driven, and it really put me off at first, as it sounds boring, but it's a Supra remember so it's far from that, it's so smooth and effortless to drive, you can put it in to 1st and use the gears like a manual anyway.

The guy who bought my black aerotop, was set on getting a manual, I persuaded him to come round and take a test drive, and he bought it :)

Ah so then you can't exclude the auto from your search before driving one!

True... got to find the right one though. I found a great car about 6 months ago, and was looking at about 4 on here at that time too. At the moment, nothing on here seems to be for me. I found a Supra on eBay but could do with opinions... seemed low mileage... here.

Same front as mine I think :)

Yours looks ace mate. Not seen you around Manchester - where you based? I don't have a car though, so it's hardly surprising!

Edited by martini (see edit history)

That is the early bomex and one of the best kits for the supe but needs the bomex side skirts as well. With regard the auto man discussion I have driven both and it is manual every time unless you are a lazy or bad driver!