The mkiv Supra Owners Club

opinion on this please

trinitom

I like very much my stock twin sequential system and I’m not thinking in the single way to soon.

but anyways if in the future i go for it what will be the most similar option to twin setup using a single turbo?

having in mine i don't want to exceed 450HP!

i know the stock system is nearly capable of that sort of HP but not in terms of durability!

you mean what size single turbo will give you 400-450bhp?

Something very small. :p And at the end of the day it would probably be cheeper to buy some more stock turbos (if your going single because they blow)

yep it will be more cheap presuming you don't blow one set every month :D

let’s say that i will go for a small turbo for around 400/50HP

at what rpm the turbo will start boosting and when i will see peak boost?

You wanting to keep the power low because of the 5 speed box? The torque from any single would probably eat the 5 speed box in no time

no, i'm saving for a 6 speed box at the moment! :yahoo:

i just don't need a car with 500+ HP for daily driving, BPU is really god but i would like to run 400/50 hp safely without that feeling of cooking the stock turbo's

On UK-spec turbos, you will come close to your aim. Before going single,I was running my euro-spec turbos at 1.4 bar, which was around 430 hp at a guess.

This setup was very nice on the streets. But you have to keep in mind that boosting your stock setup will only affect the second turbo ... so the bigger punch comes around 4200-4300 rpm (which is later than on my single now who comes on boost at 3700 rpm)

Luc

But you have to keep in mind that boosting your stock setup will only affect the second turbo ... so the bigger punch comes around 4200-4300 rpm (which is later than on my single now who comes on boost at 3700 rpm)

I'm not sure what you mean here - if you're talking about BPU mods to a stock setup then the boost is raised across the entire power-band, due to the overall loss of restriction - not just when #2 comes online. Yes your final boost will be higher once both turbos are spinning, but that's reflected by increased boost all the way up to that figure as well.

On a T4 frame (Manifold) then the GT35R is about as small and nippy as they come. A Long time ago Sound Performance used to do an SP57 (57mm as apposed to the SP61's 61mm).

If the 57/58 are about then they might work but if they are too small and you get surge...which will just leave you unhappy.

The GT35R is water and oil cooled - it's Dual Ball Baring so it's quick to spool (full beans by 3000rpm) - quick to spool from 2k onwards.

Yes it's capable of more than 450hp but then that's a matter of boost - it will run 1 bar all day and produce just the 450...you want, leaving you safe in the knowledge nothing is too stressed.

Compare that to hybrids that could meet your target, yes the bottom of the rev range will be stronger (briefly) but the hybrids are more stressed (will need to run 1.4bar) and be less reliable due to heat and reduced material thickness to allow for the bigger wheels.

If you go single - I would advise you get an ECU and fuel system sorted first. 600-720cc injectors, Bosch 044 intank pump. Talk to Ryan and I'm sure he'll do you a deal on an ECU+mapping. The turbo is easy once that stuff is in.

:yeahthat:

This is a dyno graph comparing my GT35R Supra and BPU TT.

I can supply complete kits if interested, pics and details here http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=159420

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/2551/picture1lvl.jpg

:yeahthat:

You can achieve 450bhp with higher boost on hybrids (1.4 bar), cheaper than single. But now having my GT35r DBB, i wouldn't have anything else. I had the 1.4 bar on hybrids but it's nothing compared to a small single.

Power delivery is supperior than stock twins (if you consider you're waiting until 4k rpm for full boost on stock).

thanks guys nice info.

so my best bet will be the gt35, seems to be the most similar to twin setup.

i like it! :D

the hybrids are not bad, but like matt say at 1.4 bar to get nearly 450HP, will cause more heat and stress this is why I don’t want to go for hybrids route!

Thanks for the help

I'm not sure what you mean here - if you're talking about BPU mods to a stock setup then the boost is raised across the entire power-band, due to the overall loss of restriction - not just when #2 comes online. Yes your final boost will be higher once both turbos are spinning, but that's reflected by increased boost all the way up to that figure as well.

Attention ... BPU will raise the boost but the real kick comes in at the rpm your second turbo comes into action. The first turbo which is spooling at low revs can't be pushed too hard ... so the most noticable difference is when turbo N°2 awakes :)