The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ARC airbox = Bling bling! :)

Kev_A

Bought this a while ago and was unsure if I wanted to fit it or not, it's been living in a box in the back of my van for the past 2 weeks.

As my car is in getting fixed at the moment I keep finding my self with alot of spare time on my hands so oday I decided I'd have a go at polishing it up, when I bought it it had alot of pit marks, faded finish and a fairly bad scar on the top next to the badge,

When I bought it...

A just after I started, the right side polished up and the left side not...

After todays little session...

With the badge back on...

Needless to say I'm pretty happy with the results, I even managed to remove the scar from the top and the casting on the pipe, any recomendations for a decent panel filter to put in there? I was thinking along the lines of an Apexi...

Edited by Kev_A (see edit history)

Very nice Kev :)

That looks very much like my old one in the before pics. Wonder if it's the same one!

I *think* you can still get genuine ARC replacement filters for these, well you could around 2 years ago.. They were quite expensive, around the same price as a K&N panel filter.

Great work Kev, wish they did one like that with a 4" pipe for singles :(

Simple enough job bud, only needs the pipe cut off and the hole opened up. Then you could weld on a custom 4" pipe suited to your tubby :)

Would be immense for a single IMO.

Cheers for the comments :)

Homer - I've been looking on the net for a genuine ARC element, IIRC they're about £70! Are they worth it? and does anyone know if they're cleanable? I can probably get a k&n panel filter for about £40

Modified kid - I started with my random orbit sander but TBH the velcro head is on it's last legs so I switched to my UDM (Ultimate detailing machine) and this really did make short work of it! :eyebrows:

Started with 180 grit discs, stayed with these until all of the pitting and the scar was removed, these also helped get rid of the casting on the pipe and allowed me to flush in the welds on the outside, once I was happy all of the damage/imperfections were corrected I started stepping up through the grades, all the way up to 4000 grit, I then added some 3M cutting compound, followed by a good rub down by hand with Meguiars metal polish :)

Homer - I've been looking on the net for a genuine ARC element, IIRC they're about £70! Are they worth it? and does anyone know if they're cleanable? I can probably get a k&n panel filter for about £40

Yeah, £70-80 was what I recall from a few years ago for the ARC panel. If the K&N can be dropped in then that's certainly the best choice without spending silly money on the ARC one. K&N are well proven so as long as i fits it sounds like the best choice. The performance difference between the two will be exactly nill.

Good job, you have to love ally for bringing a shine out with out too much effort.

Very nice Kev :)

That looks very much like my old one in the before pics. Wonder if it's the same one!

I *think* you can still get genuine ARC replacement filters for these, well you could around 2 years ago.. They were quite expensive, around the same price as a K&N panel filter.

Nope your old one is sitting in my shed still :D

I have tried to sell it a few times but nobody seems to want to buy it :search:

Yeah, £70-80 was what I recall from a few years ago for the ARC panel. If the K&N can be dropped in then that's certainly the best choice without spending silly money on the ARC one. K&N are well proven so as long as i fits it sounds like the best choice. The performance difference between the two will be exactly nill.

Not sure if the K&N panel in standard Supra fitment would fit but maybe if I got in touch with a stockist or even K&N themselves and gave them the dimensions they'd be able to give me the part number of one that fits...

Not sure if the K&N panel in standard Supra fitment would fit but maybe if I got in touch with a stockist or even K&N themselves and gave them the dimensions they'd be able to give me the part number of one that fits...

It won't, the ARC ones are non standard sizes. You maybe able to get a similar one from K&N for a different car that would do the job though.

To save you some time, the ARC one for the Supra is 236x200mm :)

Gaz

Nice work Kev.

OH no I hope you dont get the illness I have got from doing this B.C.D. Its like O.C.D but different. Bling compulsive disorder. Its started now, ill give it a few weeks and your engine bay will be just like mine minus the huuwwwwge turbo lol.

Good work though matey. Looki ng forward to seeing it installed.