The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil change drama

steady_dave

What a morning.

Booked to Supra in for an oil and filtar change prior to the Llandow trip next weekend.

Get to the garage and he hasn't got a drive on ramp, it's a four paster ramp (sorry don't know the correct name)

The arms won't go under due to the side skirts. He says that his brother has a garage 10 minutes away with a drive on and that I can get it done there for free as long as I pay him for the oil and filter. Fair enough.

Get down to that garage quickly as I want to get this done so I am not late for work however his drive on ramp is a "free whell ramp" with 2 metal bars across the middle which are higher than the actual ramp so the car won't fit on it so can't get it done there either.

At the moment i've got oil and a new filter.

I'm just wondering if it's a job I can do myself and if so how?

I'm ok with changing the oil but never changed a filter before.

Changing a filter is simply a matter of screwing the old one off and screwing the new one on.

If you don't have a filter removal tool, a strap of some design which tightens around the filter as you apply torque to it you can simply force a screwdriver through the body of the filter (stay to the bottom half of the filter, not near the engine block) and loosen it like that.

Turn filter anti-clockwise to remove it, be prepared for the oil that will spill from the filter, especially if you've just speared it with a screwdriver!

Avoid touching the filter mounting surface on the block, smear some oil on the rubber ring on the new filter and make sure its the correct one obviously, then screw on in place.

New filters are only ever tightened by hand but be sure that you get it as tight as you can.

Wipe up any old oil dripping down your engine, fill with new oil, be sure sump plug is back in place or it could get very messy/expensive! Start engine, do not rev until oil light has gone out, allow to run for a few minutes while you check for leaks around sump plug and filter. Stop engine, allow oil to settle and top-up accordingly.

Hope this helps!

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

You can get an oil extractor pump if you dont fancy getting under the car.

Its an ok method, it does not get all the old oil out like the drain plug but as long as you change the oil regulary with this system you should not run into problems.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/pela-pro-14-000-14l-oil-fluid-extractor

You put the tube into your dipstick hole and push it as far as you can down into the sump then pump the handle and then it sucks up the oil.

Then unscrew the Oil filter clean the filter surround on the engine block, on the new filter rub some clean fresh oil into the rubber seal then replace, fill the car up with new fresh oil while you do this keep checking the dipstick as you fill up to get the right level.

Top : When extracting the old oil Make sure the oil is hot before you do it otheriwse you will be waiting for hours.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

What a morning.

Booked to Supra in for an oil and filtar change prior to the Llandow trip next weekend.

Get to the garage and he hasn't got a drive on ramp, it's a four paster ramp (sorry don't know the correct name)

The arms won't go under due to the side skirts. He says that his brother has a garage 10 minutes away with a drive on and that I can get it done there for free as long as I pay him for the oil and filter. Fair enough.

Get down to that garage quickly as I want to get this done so I am not late for work however his drive on ramp is a "free whell ramp" with 2 metal bars across the middle which are higher than the actual ramp so the car won't fit on it so can't get it done there either.

At the moment i've got oil and a new filter.

I'm just wondering if it's a job I can do myself and if so how?

I'm ok with changing the oil but never changed a filter before.

Ive read it all now, you really havent a clue how to change the oil + filter, shame on you :p

Have a stock front on my sup so no ramp probs :D but my sons clio is very low at the front but the garage takes the bumper off to put it on the ramp 5min job, dont know how easy it is to remove supra fronts though.

Not a 5 minute job!! ;)

I used to do the same on my old mk2 astra, was a 5 minute job on that too

I made some wooden 'ramps' just to get the car up a few inches so I can get a trolley jack under it more easily (actually I don't even need the car any higher to do a oil/filter change, just the ramps).

I bought a couple of planks of wood, and cut them into 5 bits, each a little shorter than the previous, then screwed them together like this:

----|

---------|

---------------|

---------------------|

---------------------------|

job done! :)