The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manual 5 speed bhp????

Baz018

W58 or R154?

No personal expereince of this, but a few have had issues running the W58 box at BPU power levels. 350bhp seems to be about the common consensus on the capacity of a w58. The r154 on the other hand is very strong.

The clutch will obviously need to be changed to a much stronger one.

The diff also has some effect too.

What are your plans and the reason for the question?

Bromy is yours a R154? If so thats impressive! How much does the R154 box go for usually?

Bromy has the w58 which is why I was hoping he'd reply :)

The r154 can be a bit tricky to find, but they are not too expensive, around £300-£500. They'll need a new bellhousing and probably a clutch, but are *apparently* good for anything we're likely to throw at them, 800bhp is often quoted.

what kind of ratios and stuff will you get out of the r154?

Ive seen people say that 1st gear is useless and your almost red lineing in 5th at 120mph

with the w58 with a TT dif.

Is that right or am i making things up lol.

There's a calculator to work all that out, which includes the r154: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=184490

If you don't have Excel, let me know what you'd like to see and I'll post some pics of the results.

In summary - r154 does have an effect on final drive speeds (and does not give the low top speed mentioned), it's not so different to the w58. The diff ratio is the key.

sounds like the R154 box would be just what i'm looking for! If it handles full bpu I will try and source a R154 box aswell as doing the TT conversion and see if i can get the lot changed in one go!

Do some more reaserch first Rob, there's sure to be some "gotcha's" that have not been mentioned... diff, prop, flywheel, clutch slave, etc.. On the other hand, let us know how you get on :D

The r154 can be a bit tricky to find, but they are not too expensive, around £300-£500. They'll need a new bellhousing and probably a clutch, but are *apparently* good for anything we're likely to throw at them, 800bhp is often quoted.

If this is the case how come not many people have gone for the R154 box when doing an Auto to Manual conversion? Is it because of the diff and other drivetrain parts?

I mean quite frankly if you can shave £1000-1500 off an Auto to a Manual conversion for the sake of possibly a lower top end I would've thought this would have been more popular.

Or have I just been ignorant and missed a lot of threads somewhere about them? Here was me thinking V160 / 161 was only real choice with 400+ BHP. :search:

If this is the case how come not many people have gone for the R154 box when doing an Auto to Manual conversion? Is it because of the diff and other drivetrain parts?

I mean quite frankly if you can shave £1000-1500 off an Auto to a Manual conversion for the sake of possibly a lower top end I would've thought this would have been more popular.

Or have I just been ignorant and missed a lot of threads somewhere about them? Here was me thinking V160 / 161 was only real choice with 400+ BHP. :search:

It's just that the 6spd is SO strong, plus you get the stronger rear diff, prop, driveshafts, etc, that as a package it is very attractive - though expensive conversion. The 6spd is also "packaged" in that the salvage yards can offer a complete kit to transform the car to 6spd in one go. The r154 requires a lot of fettling and quite some sourcing of parts and of course research.

It's cheaper to do the r154, but it still doesn't have that lovely 6th gear cruise, needs more work (knowledge) to do it and is not a packaged conversion. This is most likely why most don't bother with it. Just spend that extra £1k or so and get the Full Monty rather than the compromise.

Well, that's my view on it anyway!

It's just that the 6spd is SO strong, plus you get the stronger rear diff, prop, driveshafts, etc, that as a package it is very attractive - though expensive conversion. The 6spd is also "packaged" in that the salvage yards can offer a complete kit to transform the car to 6spd in one go. The r154 requires a lot of fettling and quite some sourcing of parts and of course research.

It's cheaper to do the r154, but it still doesn't have that lovely 6th gear cruise, needs more work (knowledge) to do it and is not a packaged conversion. This is most likely why most don't bother with it. Just spend that extra £1k or so and get the Full Monty rather than the compromise.

Well, that's my view on it anyway!

:thumbs: Thanks Homer for a reply that answered all my questions in one go

Still looking for a good mileage V160/161 myself :(

Go 6 speed if you can afford it.

Im on my second 5speed at BPU. They are a ticking time bomb they will hold up for a while i done 4000miles on my first box and it did have a slight oil leak which didnt help matters. Its normally the higher gears that blow i destroyed 5th at 130leptons at 1.2bar! was a scary experience i can tell you! lol

Im going 6 speed as soon as funds allow it then my car is complete.

I was hoping you'd post in this mate :) What sort of torque is the engine putting out and which diff do you have fitted (NA or TT LSD?).

Not sure on the torque but it has the standard n/a non-lsd, first and reverse can be difficult to select sometimes but this is apparently quite common with the RPS clutches.

I think it is a bit of a lottery whether or not the W58 box lasts or not.

Just out of interest how much power can the R154 box take without having issue's after a certain amount of time? I believe you only have to change the bell housing over is that right?

my classic runs 499 at the wheels, 1.8 bar on highest setting and the box is great

but the cars only done 55,000 km ;)

hope this helps

i`d would have a 6 speed when i convert my auto facelift single ;) tho

thanks bud , will way up my options, not sure how far i want to go with the car yet full bpu is looking the most likely but its a toss up with going single or buying an R34 skyline , after I decide that then it will make my mind up with what box to buy!

so Glad I have an r154 box sitting in my garage out of my mk3 supra. Just incase my w58 gives up the ghost with my 1jz. I'm sure there was a gentleman on here possibly from finland or thereabouts that had done a list of what bits you need from Toyota to perform a swap.