The mkiv Supra Owners Club

So I havent owned a fast car before

Bugs

So I got some questions before I head on with buying a Supra.

I'm considering buying a TT, but when I'm hopeless at DIY should I just choose a stock TT then? When talking about engine of c.

What I mean is, are there alot of small repairs when owning a Supra with 400+ BHP?

BPU Supra (click on BPU) will give you around 400bhp. And no, not really any difference in maintaing this and a stock TT.

I believe things may change a little if you go big single turbo (450-600+bhp) etc

Welcome Bugs :)

Cheers mate.

Well, there are ALOT of guides on this forum, and people are very fast to answer, so that encourages me to try and do some DIY when I get a Supra.

I dont think I would go for a single turbo, and I dont think I would go for over 400 BHP, since its still gonna be a streetcar that I can have some fun in every day if I want that.

But isnt it possible to get more than 450 BHP out from TT? Are we then talking single turbo? Just curious

"Small repairs" as you call it depends on how you do your Supra's maintenance.

You can even put a standard Toyota engine at risk without proper maintenance.

A BPU Supe will push the turbo's without putting the engine at risk.

A single will give a lot more power, but the risk of breaking something is higher than on BPU ... but if the car is setup (and mapped) properly, BPU and single Supe's can both be very nice to maintain if well looked after.

Cheers mate.

Well, there are ALOT of guides on this forum, and people are very fast to answer, so that encourages me to try and do some DIY when I get a Supra.

I dont think I would go for a single turbo, and I dont think I would go for over 400 BHP, since its still gonna be a streetcar that I can have some fun in every day if I want that.

But isnt it possible to get more than 450 BHP out from TT? Are we then talking single turbo? Just curious

Someone who knows what they're talking about will be along in a minute - but in the meantime allow me...:innocent:

Stock TT About 326 Bhp

BPU Supe Around 400 bhp +/- 20bhp.

Hybrid TT around 450bhp

Single turbo 450+

Common feeling is (I think) why bother with hybrids?...just go single turbo...Unless you are happy with 326-400bhp.

Cheers mate.

J-Spec turbo's will give around 400+ hp at 1.2 bar.

Before going single, I had my euro-spec turbos running 1.4 bar, which was approx 430 hp. You won't get 450+ hp from the Toyota turbos. If you plan to pass the 500 hp, the is only one way : Single (or big twins)

Also take a look at the articles listed in the technical section, this may help you get a better idea of maintenance.

For me, its been a huge help and at the very least there is information/DIY guides that I can print off for my local mechanic should it be required.

If you're new to the scene and new to high powered RWD cars and are after a supra, try and find a stock, unmolested, low mileage jspec. It'll get you a nice introduction to high powered cars and will have around 300bhp available. If you've not owned a heavy RWD turbo car before going straight to BPU would be a risky move.

BPU doesn't cost much to do (around £1k), so you always have that option to go for further down the line. It'll give 380-420bhp dependant on the car and how far you want to modify. Hybrid's I'd give a miss, they're more trouble than they're worth.

So, stock car, have a summer and winter of use out of it to get used to the way they drive, then you have next year to think about if BPU is right for you.

Also take a look at the articles listed in the technical section, this may help you get a better idea of maintenance.

For me, its been a huge help and at the very least there is information/DIY guides that I can print off for my local mechanic should it be required.

Cheers mate. Thats really helpful.

Would be sweet do to be able to do some basic stuff myself.