The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Toyota Fooked My Plans Up..!!

Havard

Hi,

I had this weekend to fit my new HT leads and fit a new rocker cover gasket. Just rushed down to Wigan Toyota and got my rocker gasket and five other rubber strips that should sit in the middle of the plug recesses.

Whilst on the phone to Toyota the parts manager asked me if I wanted the addidtional rubber strip/gaskets, he said that there were 5 different part numbers and I should have them all. I paid my £35 this afternoon and just started stripping down the air and fuel stuff on top.

Just looked at the drawing of engine cover and it has now become apparent that I need six gaskets and not five(two of one type..:wtf:)

Even if I go to Toyota tomorrow I may only get the parts on Monday and that then leaves it really close for going to Le Mans on Wednesday first thing..!! I have never done this before and I wanted to take my time and not make any mistakes. I may try and see if my local garage can do it on Monday but I doubt that they could fit it in now...!!

I may try and take the car to Le Mans as it is as it has been running well for a week now but I'm convinced that the oil in the plug recess was causing my original misfire and not the leads. I don't know how bad the leak is until you strip it all down and if I've stripped it then I may aswell fit all the gaskets....:blink:

FFS..!!

H.

FFS indeed. Call in sick for work on Tuesday and do it all then...!

I'm up to my tits in work and I have a meeting in Burton on Trent all day Tuesday......:(

We leave for Le Mans 6 am on Wednesday..!!

I may just remove the plugs again this weekend and drain any oil in there away like I did last Sunday. The car has run well for a week and done about 200 miles. The Le Mans trip is 1200 though...!!:rolleyes:

H.

5 gaskets??

Surely your issue is the cam cover gaskets, change them :)

I've done this job in the past, and while I suppose it is prudent to change all the gaskets you remove, I only did the two offending cam gaskets, cleaned the intake system and put it back on.

Paul if you ring Toyota Preston (and Blackpool), and by some random chance they have them in stock I'll run them down for you.

Give me a shout if I can help.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I'll make some calls tomorrow....;)

5 gaskets??

Surely your issue is the cam cover gaskets, change them :)

I've done this job in the past, and while I suppose it is prudent to change all the gaskets you remove, I only did the two offending cam gaskets, cleaned the intake system and put it back on.

I rang up initially for the two large ones that are the full length of the block. In the centre where the plugs go, there are six small rubber strips that need replacing. The thing is, I now think it's actually one of these little ones that is the problem as the oil was in plugs 3 & 4 only..!!

One way or another I need to check around the plugs this weekend to establish how bad the oil leak is. I could be a week or it could be a year before that misfire comes back but I want to have done as much as possible to fix any problems.

H.