The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help please!!! Uk front caliper pins

96sz

Help! I am trying to remove the pins from the front calipers but they are stuck solid. I have managed to get one out, but the other three i have ended up sawing in half, result, 3 half pins stuck in the rear of the calipers!:( I have tried hammering them with no luck and am worried i could damage the calipers.

Any suggestions how i could get these ******`s out?

Thanks

Help! I am trying to remove the pins from the front calipers but they are stuck solid. I have managed to get one out, but the other three i have ended up sawing in half, result, 3 half pins stuck in the rear of the calipers!:( I have tried hammering them with no luck and am worried i could damage the calipers.

Any suggestions how i could get these ******`s out?

Thanks

Have you taken the calipers off the car?

Edit: Sorry, see below

Edited by Paul (see edit history)

If off the car then have you got any access to a fly press? If so then easy to use a pin punch and the press to shock it out.

If not then support the caliper on a socket or similar placed on a solid hard surface, get a pin punch and club hammer and shock it with decent swipes.

Repeated light hitting won't touch it, the caliper will be fine if correctly supported.

Edit: If you're using any old piece of metal as a punch then this won't help either as it'll just mushroom at the end and absorb the impact from the hit.

Edited by Paul (see edit history)

Plusgas would be better as it's a penetrating oil however it's down to how well and how sudden the shock from the hit is.

If they are off the car then that's easier, support on something like a socket.

what are you using, a normal hammer and an old pin to smack them out?

Plusgas would be better as it's a penetrating oil however it's down to how well and how sudden the shock from the hit is.

If they are off the car then that's easier, support on something like a socket.

what are you using, a normal hammer and an old pin to smack them out?

Yes, hammer and old pin. The ends have been mushrooming but i have been de-burring them with a small craft tool.

Yes, hammer and old pin. The ends have been mushrooming but i have been de-burring them with a small craft tool.

Problem is that the hammer is too lightweight and the pin is absorbing the blow!

Any mates work in engineering or is there a small engineering shop nearby? they will more than likely have a small fly press.

I ended up cutting mine in half and pulling one half through the normal direction and the other half was knocked through the other way using a steel rod.

Thats what i have done. 1 more out so far today so only 2 more to go then i can start cleaning them ready to paint.:)