The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Importing a Supra

Guest bennyblanco

Guest bennyblanco

Hi guys,

New to the forum and I'm in the position to buy my first Supra :D

I'm trying to find a standard TT because I want it to be my own then I can do what I want to it (over time).......:eyebrows:

I've seen a few good ones on autoadvan. The one that stands out is a '94 RZ for £10,440 (UK landed price including all fees etc).

50,000 miles and in good cond.

Shall I try the UK first or would you recommend imports. I know UK spec are hard to find so probably would have to be an import but would it be worth it getting it all the way from Japan???

Cheers

Ben

At the moment I would probably try to source one thats already in this country, as prices have fallen due to the credit crunch and the exchange rate with the yen is quite high. Have a look in the for sale section. For £10k you are just about into single turbo territory, you will find a very nice stock example for that price

It seems to me that at the moment that you can buy from japan where there is more choice of cars but they are currently at a higher price.............or you can get a cheaper and possibly as good one thats in the uk already but your choice is limited and you'd have to live on the trader/ebay/pistonheads to find one and it could take longer than the boat trip the imported one will have to take!

I personally like to view the cars, i'd find it hard to commit to a direct from Japan car but lots do by using a reliable/reputable supplier/importer.

Guest bennyblanco

cheers guys...... yeah i know it'll take a while.

Been looking on and off since about Jan and although a few have got my attention I still haven't found the one I want.

As I said earlier I want it to be a project car. Also I'm a bit worried about the thrashing that a lot of them will have taken

You could always search the PistonHeads and Autotrader classified's.

Also you could search the Supras for sale section on this forum.

Then you have Jurgen JM Imports who has an astonishing reputation for a car dealer (no offence lol), he seems to be able to source some fine Supras and all customers appear happy with the service and the vehicles.

Fwiw, I personally spent over 1 year looking for my Supra. Even went to some Import places like http://www.japperformanceuk.co.uk/jap/ thinking I'd have to settle for an import model. The cars here looked great on photo but in the flesh they left somewhat to be desired. A few of the Supra's I looked at at this place and also Keighly trade nearby, were sheds. Bodywork scuffs/marks not declared, dangerously low fluid levels etc. Also test drives were not given unless I put the money down to buy first :swear: I'd say stay away from these 2 places.

I personally could never part with money for a vehicle that I have never seen or tested as it can be a nightmare to get the money back, so for importing I'd personally contact Jurgen JM Imports and have a chat and see if he can help you.

Guest bennyblanco

Thanks again..... Pistonheads and Autotrader have been my main sources so far with the occasional dabble on Ebay and of course the classifieds on here.

There have been a lot of nice ones for sale but it seems that most of them were mainly autos..... I'm looking for a manual..... But have been thinking and researching about converting auto to manual.... however it seems quite expensive and time consuming

Would it be worthwhile in the long run if for I purchased an Auto and eventually did convert it?

There are enough manuals that keep popping up, but I'd say contact Jurgen JM Imports first and see what he says and can do for you.

As for a auto-manual conversion, you may be able to justify the cost if you find a cracking auto and you are planning to keep the car for a long time.