The mkiv Supra Owners Club

how much does bpu cost on a bog standard tt supra ?

scoooby slayer

Assuming jspec:

- Walbro pump: £90

- Decats: £250

- Boost gauge: £120

- Plugs: £15

- Restrictor ring: £10

- Cat back system (2nd hand): £200

- FCD: £70

Total: £755

Fitting is a breeze, the only issues can be the 1st decat as the bolts will need heat to get off. Most people just take it to their local exhaust place and give them £20 cash to do it.

That'll get you 1.2bar and up to 400bhp

Assuming jspec:

- Walbro pump: £90

- Decats: £250

- Boost gauge: £120

- Plugs: £15

- Restrictor ring: £10

- Cat back system (2nd hand): £200

- FCD: £70

Total: £755

Fitting is a breeze, the only issues can be the 1st decat as the bolts will need heat to get off. Most people just take it to their local exhaust place and give them £20 cash to do it.

That'll get you 1.2bar and up to 400bhp

I always assumed a FMIC was a part of it? Or is that BPU+? :)

Great thread, whilst mine is stock and to be honest I'd love to keep it that way, I'm tempted to consider a 'modest' upgrade.

LOL:d, I am sure I have heard that before. The start of a slippery slope;)

Another thing that wont cost you any money but may prevent a nasty surprise. Check all hose clips that you can get to. Some of the ones on the turbos, may be hold for stock boost, but may allow hoses to pop off at higher levels. Just nip them up so they are good and tight.

You may see small amount of smoke on boost that was not there before, I think Chris Wilson refers to it as "tired turbo seal smoke". Nothing terminal, mine did it for 6 years.

A check of the brake system would be a good idea, possibly some uprated pads especial if you have JDM brakes.

No a SMIC in "good" condition will cool the charge sufficiently for those mods. An uprated SMIC will support 500bhp, they are hard to find now but ARC and Greddy and possibly others made them. I know Chris Wilson had some made up and by all accounts very good to, as you might expect.

As soon as you go FMIC, it is very hard to replicate the excellent ducting Toyota developed. You have a good chance that the ageing water cooling system will suffer as the rad is just inefficient in a reduce air flow.

The "+" things are meaningless, they were dreamed up by a certain US retailer many years ago and have no reflection on actual engine performance.

An FMIC is utterly pointless on a BPU car, it only serves a benefit if the stock intercooler is knackered. In most cases it'll degrade performance as near everyone fits once with no ducting. Best option is to just replace the stock one unless you plan on going for a mid-large single setup in the next year.

Guest Budz86

Any idea how much a new stock one would be? Or is there a decent aftermarket one that would work out cheaper but just as efficient?

The "+" things are meaningless, they were dreamed up by a certain US retailer many years ago and have no reflection on actual engine performance.

An FMIC is utterly pointless on a BPU car, it only serves a benefit if the stock intercooler is knackered. In most cases it'll degrade performance as near everyone fits once with no ducting. Best option is to just replace the stock one unless you plan on going for a mid-large single setup in the next year.

Oh no I know they're not helping the performance when sitting at stage 1 sorta levels :)

Was just curious as to what was all part of the "package" as it seems that many opt for a FMIC and I've read the "+" and "++" all over the place and didn't really know what it denoted :)