The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BP Ultimate, anyone used it?

Barry

I was desperatly low on juice last night (about 1am!), and the first garage I came to was a BP. Didn't want to risk another 10 miles to my usual Shell garage for a tank of Optimax so I stuck in £20 of Ultimate.

Does anyone use this, what do you think? I know its RON is a little lower than Optimax so I wont be flooring it (not that I can anyway!), just wandered if anyone here uses it and notices any difference?

:)

Posted by 'splurge'

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6483&perpage=15&pagenumber=5

Late to the thread as usual, but just for information:

Standard unleaded is 95 RON

Premium unleaded is 97 RON

BP Ultimate is also 97 RON (I though 98, but it isn't)

http://subsites.bp.com/ultimate/uk/petrol/default.asp

Shell Optimax is 98 RON

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework...731-2003.html#6

Standard UK Supras can run 95 RON, but will like 97 better.

Standard J-Spec Supras run on 100 RON in Japan, but the engine is perfectly OK with 98 and can cope with 97. 95 RON in a J-Spec is a bad thing.

Hope this helps.

It certainly *appears* better than Optimax in my somewhat lower spec (ahem) Rover coupe which admittedly seems to love it, as does my birds FTO. Just that there appears to be more power and "ooomph" when you put your foot down.

But then, they arent exactly Supra's are they :D

Some of the bigger powered skyline boys did some testing of Ultimate vs. Optimax and found that the Ultimate wasn't as good (they couldn't run as much ignition advance without it knocking). It appears BP Ultimate is just re-released BP SUL but with cleaning addatives to try and compete with Optimax. I'll stick with the optimax, plus Ultimate is more expensive round here anyway.

I filled my car up with Ultimate the time before last. Usually I fill it up with optimax.

I found that ultimate is crap!! My car was missfiring a lot and just didnt feel as quick to spool up as when I put optimax in it.

I've filled it up with optimax since and it's as happy as larry.

I can confirm....Optimax is 98 RON. that is of course if it hasnt been stood for a long time!

Paul.

I'm not sure that the petrol would cause a miss-fire!

Im quite aware of the octane ratings of the two fuels (optimax & Ultimate) but just wanted to hear people experiences of it. I've done about 30 miles tonight, most of which was under 50mph. Put my foot down a little and to be honest didn't notice any difference at all. I'll give it til the end of the tank, stick another £20 of Ultimate in to give it chance to get round and then go back to Optimax and see what it feels like.

Good to hear all the 'different' experiences of it tho.

:thumbs:

Originally posted by Barry

I'm not sure that the petrol would cause a miss-fire!

Im quite aware of the octane ratings of the two fuels (optimax & Ultimate) but just wanted to hear people experiences of it. I've done about 30 miles tonight, most of which was under 50mph. Put my foot down a little and to be honest didn't notice any difference at all. I'll give it til the end of the tank, stick another £20 of Ultimate in to give it chance to get round and then go back to Optimax and see what it feels like.

Good to hear all the 'different' experiences of it tho.

:thumbs:

Well I have no other explanation for the missfiring! My car has new plugs etc. so it's not that.

Paul.

I'm in the middle of a little experiment of my own with Ultimate. I'm doing ten tanks of the stuff then looking at MPG etc then back onto Optimax for ten tanks. Did Tesco's for a while but the more expensive stuff is noticably better (MPG and acceleration). Don't expect there to be a big difference with the BP/Shell offerings but we'll see.

I did a similar experiment with normal Shell unleaded and Optimax. (I'm N/A)

Next fill up I'm going to try with Optimax again but I found the MPG to be worse with Optimax and cant really notice any difference other than the cost.

Last time I mentioned this on another fuel thread someone else with a NA had done the same and also found Optimax to produce lower MPG.

BP Ultimate is 97 RON. I have been using it in my J-Spec TT since I got it. Why? Because the BP garage is 1 mile away and the Shell garage is 40 miles away.

I can confirm that I have not experienced any problems with Ultimate in the 750 miles or so since I started using it. On the other hand, I have a completely standard engine.

So, my conclusion is, if you have a standard Supe of any description then you are fine with Ultimate, but even better off with Optimax. If you have a modded J-Spec you are probably going to want Optimax all the time, maybe with octane booster as well.