The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Got my Uk Supra TT - Also got a misfire problem!

DSK

Firstly many thanks to Homer for sorting out my membership.

I have previously posted in the past, asking the odd question about Supra's and trying to source one for some time. Been looking for over 1 year but trying to hold out for one rather than having to bite the bullet and end up with a BMW M5/M3 Merc C32.

I purchased a fellow members 95' Uk Spura TT auto in April, noble chap, superb vehicle, spectacular history etc.

However, the car now has a misfire. Upon initial start up whilst the revs are closer to 2,000rpm, the car sounds/drives fine but then developed a misfire as the revs dropped. I got caught out on the road with this but after a couple of minutes the misfire cleared. However, now the misfire is always present and the car is now off the road.

I have changed the spark plugs to NGK iridium (prior to the misfire) as I was not sure when these were replaced and the car was much quicker and drove well (noticed an incorrect gap on the original plugs).

My local mechanic popped out to me, carried out a diagnostics (code read + data stream values). No fault codes are stored and no engine light is illumintaed.

Here is the data stream values;

Engine speed 925rpm

Injection Pulse Width 2.6 ms

Idle control 72 step

Air flow 0.72V

Intake Manifold Pressure 1 mmHg

Left Air/Fuel 2.6V

Right Air/Fuel 0.00V

Throttle Opening 0 Deg

Ignition Advanced Angle 10 Deg

Vehicle Speed 0 km/h

Coolant Temp Sensor 1V

L 02 Sensor Status LEAN

R 02 Sensor Status LEAN

L Open/Closed Loop CLOSED

R Open/Closed Loop OPEN

Knock Sensor NO

Start Switch OFF

Idle Switch ON

A/C Clutch OFF

P/N SW P-N-

Warm Start Enrich NO

Enrich After Starting NO

Myself and my mechanic are 99% certain its a coil breaking down, however he can't get out to me for 3 weeks to scope the fault with more hi-tech diagnostics equipment.

Can anyone help/advice so that I can get the car back on the road asap?

Unplug each coil pack individually, noting if there is a change in engine note, if there isn't that is the possible unit, swap it over with a known good one and see if the problem is resolved.

Many thanks, I may be able to have a go at this myself. (If it is a coil I will be purchasing it from GarageWhifbitz that I have seen in the traders section.)

It is also very possible that the connectors to the coil pack have fallen apart which isn't an unusual thing either. Give them a wiggle and see if it improves. There is a part code somewhere about for the plastic clips.

1 of these was damaged by Toyota previously, but when changing the plugs, my mechanic ensured the connection was secured. The car drove amazingly for a few days after the plug change.

Does anyone know what this clip thingy is called so that I can have a look for it?

is this the part?

http://garagewhifbitz.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=7573&category_id=2002&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

or a picture of it taken from Garage Whifbitz;

http://garagewhifbitz.co.uk/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/resized/Toyota_491aa37184611_200x200.jpg

If so, for the price I'll just get some ordered for the sake of it.

Yep, that's the part Gav is talking about, they are a very common issue if if not replaced in the last 5-10 years.

Many thanks, I'll give garagewhifbitz a call and get these ordered for the sake of it.

Will also have a fiddle of the connectors etc on Thursday and report back.

Many thanks again to all.

Firstly many thanks to all who are helping.

Today I bought a set of allen keys and some tools, removed the plug cover and had a play with the coil pack connector clips.

5 coil pack connector clips are rock solid and seem good. 1 was very loose as we knew but my mechanic stated he'd ensured the wires inside it were secured to the coil connector.

Started the car up, as soon as the misfire started to occur after about 1 minute of starting as the revs start to drop, previously the car was stuttering severly. Gave the loose connector clip and wires a wiggle and the misfire is still there but much smoother.

Here's some pics to help.

First picture shows the faulty (loose) clip. Its very loose (mechanic assured me the wires were securely connected, pehps the loose clip have disloged the wires inside). Its the second in from the front of the engine.

Second picture shows the blob thing the clip connects to (under my screwdriver), where clip sits, the clip is just loose. I' have lifted the clip up a bit in this picture.

Third picture I have pushed the connector clip down (poor quality photo) just so that you can see the connector clip is just omving about willy nilly.

Next step - (now) order some clips from Garage Whifbitz - just ordered 3, only need 1 but will keep 2 spare. Nice quick service and good telephone manner from GarageWhifbitz.

Does anyone know if any forum members who can mechanically do this repair would be willing to come to me (i'm in Nottingham), just 2 minutes off the M1 junction 25?

I took a print out of the DIY guide linked to perform this repair to a local garage, they didn't even look at it and said that they'll do it their way, which is to get a spare loom, cut the section required and join it to my loom. Needless to say I just walked away. If they'd bothered to read the DIY i may not have been so insulted.

clip1.jpg

clip2.jpg

clip3.jpg

Edited by DSK (see edit history)

If it's loose it's certainly going to be giving issues. Did you remove the clip at all? You'll probably find the white insulator is cracked or breaking apart, this causes a poor connection and a misfire. Personally I would just leave it connected until the new clip arrives, just in case it falls apart on removal.

Good job on walking away from that garage! Cowboys!

If it's loose it's certainly going to be giving issues. Did you remove the clip at all? You'll probably find the white insulator is cracked or breaking apart, this causes a poor connection and a misfire. Personally I would just leave it connected until the new clip arrives, just in case it falls apart on removal.

Good job on walking away from that garage! Cowboys!

I did not remove the clip, don't know how to myself but, when my local mechanic did the plugs the black housing section was not securing the wires contained within.

I did not remove the clip, don't know how to myself but, when my local mechanic did the plugs the black housing section was not securing the wires contained within.

That'll be the cause then, get it repaced and you have a very cheap and easy solution :)

Thanks Homer. If it works great, if not, its a good place to start... I will keep you all posted on how things progress.

If anyone knows anyone who can mechanically do this for me and is not far away, I'd be happy to pay for fuel & labour :)

Update - SORTED!!!! (root cause of problem - faulty coil pack)

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

We did the battery, no probs.

Changed the faulty coil pack connect clip - mechanic said it was a doddle but we'll do the rest in 2 weeks for the sake of it.

Car still stuttered a bit so I had a smile like a trout. Thanks to Whifbitz for getting the ignition coil to me asap! put that on and the Supra sounded amazing....... fault was the ignition coil obviously. The coil did not show up with the MODUS fancy diagnostics system, so the old method of unplugging the coil pack connector clips is how the coil was traced.

Just took the Supra for a run round the block a few times, god its nice to hear it singing and dancing, even the old folks who live around me, a few of them heard me going back and forth around the block several times, and gave me a wave and a smile!

The car now feels extremely strong at the bottom end compared to when I bought it!

Thanks to everyone for the help and support with all my questions and queries and also all contributors with their technical articles which all came in handy today.

Going to order another 5 coils now and do the rest of the 5 coil pack connector clips + coils in about 2 weeks, should make a further noticeable difference I think.

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Edited by DSK (see edit history)