The mkiv Supra Owners Club

bumper help needed (video)

pistonbroke

i would build a new piece onto the o/s part of the bumber out of fibre glass to make enough material for fixing.

on the n/s where its sitting proud cant you tease the fixing bracket back so it sits level.

ive never fitted a front bumper on a mkiv but thats the way i would do it

i would build a new piece onto the o/s part of the bumber out of fibre glass to make enough material for fixing.

on the n/s where its sitting proud cant you tease the fixing bracket back so it sits level.

ive never fitted a front bumper on a mkiv but thats the way i would do it

I don't know what you mean by fixing bracket. There are no brackets, just straight bumper to wing fixing points.

thats pretty mutch what i had to do to make a replica bumper fit. i had to move the fixing points at the bottom of the wing inwards slightly .

then i fibreglassd two 10mm bolts onto the back of the bumper and drilled corrisponding holes in the fixing point at the bottom of the wing , then i slot it all in placeand use the 10mm nut and bolt to pull the corners of the bumpers tight to the car.

They are all like it mate. imo its apauling how companies churn out bits of fibregash, flog em for many hundreds of pounds and they are pretty poor fit.

Saying that, it looks like you have quite a well fitting one :)

1 - get some fibre gash and add to the 'mounting point'. I done this and mounted a deep nut into the fibregash. So I can whip the bumper off nice and easy.

2 - you need to shave either the inside of the bumper off, "persuade" the bracket inwards or a bit of both.

HTH fella

First off get yourself some fibreglass bridger paste (a paste with fibreglass strands in it) file the bumper until your happy with the fit, tape it on, and then mark through the bolt holes, take it off again and bury the heads of a 6mm bolt of the correct length, in some bridger paste, where you have marked, but make sure you have got them deep enough so as not to hold the bumper away from the body.

You can also fill the thin edge/end pieces with bridger and then when dry, just shape everything up with a file and smooth off with some production paper.

On the right hand part where the bumper is secured to the car, is there a mounting point on the bumper but it's just that it doesn't line up with the bracket on the car.

If so I would be inclined to modify the steel bracket on the car (adding a piece on which can be removed later if necessary) rather than start messing around with fibreglass on the bumper.

I couldn't see a mounting point on the bumper in the video which makes it more difficult in deciding what's best.

Again it's not easy deciding what's best with the bumper lining up on the left wheel arch without seeing how it fits elsewhere.

They are all like it mate. imo its apauling how companies churn out bits of fibregash, flog em for many hundreds of pounds and they are pretty poor fit.

Not all ;) I for one, even though I say it myself :D

Although I dont make anything for the supra, I make quite a bit for the MR2.

I make sure everything fits right before I make moulds.

All my stuff has fixings bonded on the back where necesarry or predrilled holes (MR2 bumper has 13 nuts bonded on the inside across the top/bonnet edge)

This is where a lot of companies dont give a damn and turn crap out.

Anyway as has been said mark where hole needs to be in the bumper,drill and bond a nut on the reverse side then all you have to do is screw a bolt in from inside the wing.

Shame you dont live closer and I would sort it for you for free.

Looks like you are having fun Mat.

who's Mat ? :D

My name's Dan.

Just to update, Mr Whiffen has been in touch, I'll not do anything else until he gets back to me with an appropriate course of action, I don't want to fettle the bumper any more in case it ends up going back.

Edited by pistonbroke (see edit history)

I had a similar problem to this fitting a Do-Luck replica from RepliKit (the bunch of clowns...). I gave up in the end, although mine did seem much worse. My advice is to buy genuine. Not that helpful, I know, but there we go!

who's Mat ? :D

My name's Dan.

Just to update, Mr Whiffen has been in touch, I'll not do anything else until he gets back to me with an appropriate course of action, I don't want to fettle the bumper any more in case it ends up going back.

Massive blonde moment there sorry Dan:innocent::D