The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help me keep my Supra

mobsta_01

Hello all!

I'm a wheelchair user and want to get hand controls fitted to my N/A Auto Supra. Due to some rare illness the muscles in my legs dont respond like they should.

The adaptations i need are quite expensive though, and i was wondering if there was any way of getting funding towards it.

I was told that Motability could help me, but apparantly they'll only pay for adaptations if i get a contract hire car from them (which is a minimum of 3 years!), i feel like i'm being forced in to a Motibility agreement and like its the only way i;m going to drive again!

Havent had any luck with finding anyone to help me pay for it all, and i dont want to lose my car :(

Ive seen some posts regarding disabled Supra drivers, but couldnt find any about hand controls. Has anyone got adaptations fitted? and are there any grants/funding available?

I can't help you much on hand controls, but I have used a Lodgesons' steering ball in the past and want to get another one fitted to the Supe at some point. They are expensive (I think £600 when I looked a few years ago), but very worthwhile.

http://www.lodgesons.co.uk/home.aspx

If you click on the 'Fitters' link, you can find garages in your area who do conversions. It might be worth ringing some of those and see what they say.

The guy who has bought my car has taken mine off and sending me them, so i'm sure we'll be able to sort something out so you can keep your Supe, its not nice getting rid as i now know so if i can help you keep yours then thats another Wheelie still in a Supe. :D

The controls i wanted cost £1,800. Its got an eletronic trigger for the accelerator with a manual brake. Thanks Big Dino :) Are your controls the same? Or are they the manual push/pull ones? And how much would you want for em?

Would be worth getting the cheaper ones to start with, then saving for the ones you want. Would be better than loosing the car :)

Would be worth getting the cheaper ones to start with, then saving for the ones you want. Would be better than loosing the car :)

Hmm... i guess i could. But with most of the controls you have to keep one hand on the accelerator, while steering with the other. Using a steering ball cn be quite tiring. But with the controls i had in mind you can keep both hands on the steering, and you can put your hands wherever ou want. This link'll show what i mean...

http://www.fadiel.com/home.jsf?lang=en

Howdy

I've been driving Supes with hand controls for 7 years now.

There are lots of complicated and increasingly expensive options available but by far the best experience I have had are with the simple push-pull type for auto / tipto boxes.

They give you great mechanical feel (as they're not assisted in any way) for accelerator and brake - and, as I said on Top Gear, I firmly believe I can get on the brakes faster than the lowly foot controlled drivers - except perhaps those adept at using both feet :-).

I have mine positioned so that for regular driving I have one and a half hands on the wheel and light finger usage will do the rest on the controls.

For performance driving you basically learn techniques for coping with the rapid movements required, maybe use steering ball - but you wont be doing any cross-arm powersliding I'm afraid - although powersliding is doable, you just need to have more finesse than these strange folk with legs that work :-)

I also have a line-lock system for launching - just on the front wheels - with the release button on the centre console, although you could put it on the steeringwheel if preferred. Linelock works better with a tipto for the silly spin-up launches that really nobody ever needs to do officer.

Leon uses the simple hand control and line-lock for launching his drag Supras - and he'd fit you one no worries.

I have always had tipto and the Supe is great at giving you a little leeway in time to blip the throttle for changing down - but I can't see any reason why this system is not just as good for autos.

Anyway - I use a company in Herts - PB Conversions, Paul is a good guy, if you call mention my name, he has done about 6 or 7 vehicles for me in the past few years - they don't do anything especially clever although they do custom make brackets and things and are well attuned to the individuals requirements- they cost about £325 I think - no VAT if you're registered disabled.

Any more Qs give us a shout

R

I have mine positioned so that for regular driving I have one and a half hands on the wheel and light finger usage will do the rest on the controls.

I also have a line-lock system for launching - just on the front wheels - with the release button on the centre console, although you could put it on the steeringwheel if preferred. Linelock works better with a tipto for the silly spin-up launches that really nobody ever needs to do officer.

Leon uses the simple hand control and line-lock for launching his drag Supras - and he'd fit you one no worries.

I have always had tipto and the Supe is great at giving you a little leeway in time to blip the throttle for changing down - but I can't see any reason why this system is not just as good for autos.

R

Thanks for that Rob.

Ive had a few people telling me they prefer the manual hand controls. I think i'm going to need some practise before though, because i kept getting the controls mixed up ( i was pulling when i should have been pulling!). luckily i had an assessor next to me to do any sudden braking!

I didnt know anything about the line-locking either. Is it easy to install? I think i might get used to driving my Supe before i start racing yet though, lol

• 3 months later...

sorry i misted this first time round, yeh how did you get on ?

there is a lot of help out there but as usual, thows that are genuine are not given the help they need without a whole heap of chasing.;)

there are also a lot of less that complete supra drivers, and thats great to know.............:sly:

Resurrection. How did you get on with this in the end Mobsta?

sorry i misted this first time round, yeh how did you get on ?

there is a lot of help out there but as usual, thows that are genuine are not given the help they need without a whole heap of chasing.;)

there are also a lot of less that complete supra drivers, and thats great to know.............:sly:

Hi guys,

i got offered some hand controls from another member on here, but when i contacted the fitters (KC Mobility) near me, they told me that they'd be chargng for at least 3 hours and that they couldn't fit second hand controls at all!

So i decided to get new ones fitted. KC again fobbed me off, saying that they couldn't fit an import! and that i had to go directly to Jeff Goslings. Which i did, got manual push/pull controls (without inicator) fitted for £440. Couldn't find any financial help at all. every one i talked to, including a lot of charities said they'd only help if i got a car from Motability! Which imo is a complete waste of money... if you want to drive a proper car, then theres loads of deposits to pay first, even before the monthly payments start! They keep telling you how much money there is to be saved with them, because they cover tyres, maintainance, insurance etc. but i know my costs arent anywhere near as much as they would be with them! :D

My advice to all wheelies, buy a Supra (na or tt) then get the controls fitted yourself! Its alot more fun and economical than going with Motability! :D

Well done dude, glad you got it sorted in the end. Shame you had to go through all that hassle though.

Thanks bud,

it was lot of hassle but all worth it in the end, :D

I looked at all the options and am convinced that sticking with my own car was the best decision. I didn't even bother with any more driving lessons, (one instructor told me i'd need about lessons, @ £25 eah just to get used to the controls and get my confident back!). i'm even considering a na-tt conversion next year! :D

Thanks bud,

it was lot of hassle but all worth it in the end, :D

I looked at all the options and am convinced that sticking with my own car was the best decision. I didn't even bother with any more driving lessons, (one instructor told me i'd need about lessons, @ £25 eah just to get used to the controls and get my confident back!). i'm even considering a na-tt conversion next year! :D

:D Well done, nice to see it all worked out! :thumbs: