The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Idiot electrical question

jevansio

I want to move the boost solenoid my AEM uses to the other side of the engine bay.

It has 2 wires going to it. One I know for sure is an ignition +ve feed (as it's spliced off the relay that controls my fans).

The other goes back into the loom near the alternator. What is this 2nd wire, I guess it's a -ve, but why does it go back to the loom, is that the same as earthing it straight to the chassis? When I move the solenoid to the other side of the bay how can I determine the best place to connect the wire?

I'm a bit of an electrical novice :D

I would take a guess and say that the wiring was from one of the stock turbo parts(maybe a vsv control), which links directly back to the ECU. This is a -ve trigger, ie is triggered by the ECU when needed :)

There's nothing wrong with tracing the wire back through the loom Jay, a little time consuming but easy enough.

It goes back into the Blue/White wire which is a Stock VSV pin. This goes to pin 60B on the ecu which is the boost solenoid output from the AEM. I do it this way as it saves running extra wires through.

Normally do it so it uses the 12v from the black/red wire on the next pin which is on the same blue connector.

Ryan

Many thanks Ryan/Kev, I guess when you think about it one of those wires has to control the unit and it wasn't going to be the ignition feed :D

I think I'll trace that wire back & take off it near the bulkhead. My plan is to locate the solenoid in the passenger wing, I want to keep the boost feed to/from it as short as possible and locating it there keep the ugy boost hoses as hidden as possible.

Many thanks Ryan/Kev, I guess when you think about it one of those wires has to control the unit and it wasn't going to be the ignition feed :D

I think I'll trace that wire back & take off it near the bulkhead. My plan is to locate the solenoid in the passenger wing, I want to keep the boost feed to/from it as short as possible and locating it there keep the ugy boost hoses as hidden as possible.

No probs. Not sure if I'm understanding this right, but won't moving the solenoid increase the length of the hoses as they need to connect to the compressor housing and wastegate?

At the minute the feed to the solenoid comes off the plenum, the solenoid is located right in the corner next to the brake servo. It then runs back across the bulkhead a bit & down to the wastegate. See red lines.

I'm planning on putting it in the passenger wing. See green lines. These can be mostly hidden.

attachment.php?attachmentid=93426&stc=1&d=1243804021

I'd say it's six & two threes, if anything it'll be slightly shorter in the proposed position, the main reason being I can hide the wiring & hoses better if they're in the passenger wing (it means there are no hoses & wires running past the brake reseviour which IMHO makes that are look untidy)

This is all part of a big engine bay cleanup I'm going to do as part of installing the new turbo (while everything is off). It's one part of the car that has bugged me, the mess of wires & hoses. I want a bay like the americans :D

IMG_3789.jpg

I don't suppose you know why you only have one pipe going to the wastegate Jay?

I thought the set up was like the attached picture.

I sure do bud ;)

I originally had mine setup like that, then one day the nipple snapped clean in half that attached to the top of the wastegate. So I just reworked it with the boost feed going to the side of the WG (bit like a bleed valve).

I will probably put it back when I get another nipple but TBH I don't notice any difference controlling the WG with one or both feeds.