The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Not The Best of Days

Supra-Woman

Travelling to JTS today, i had quite a stomach churning experience after my rear passenger tyre decide to blow on the M1, i am just so glad that i was driving sensibly, although i have never felt so sick in all my life, probably didnt help that i had my daughter in the car and all the what ifs start kicking in & the shock of how easy it can happen.

1 knackered tyre.

I dont know if the wheel is damaged as it looks ok and according to the AA it looks like the wall of the tyre has protected it?? I dont know if there is anyway of checking??

Spot the main problem i have now.....

One of the bolts form the hub has sheered off which can happen in the event of a blowout?? I really need to know how i go about getting something like this replaced, how hard it is and how much it is likely to cost?

Typical that i only just got it back last week from the body shop after paint flaked off :(

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this happened to me on my old set of alloys exact same tear i was doin 20mph when it happened out of a side road didnt bang just sounded like something was stuck to the tyre when got out and looked inside of tyre looked exactly like yours

1. Ditch the Nankangs (ditch finders)

2. Get your alignment etc done. Looks like you have massive ware on the inside edge as in the reflection on the car the other side of the tyre looks ok.

3. 19" probably wont be helping with this.

I think i saw you as i was leaving i was thinking to myself "there a bit late" :p

Glad your ok though.

How often do you check your tyres? By the look of that its been wearing for a while now! Make sure you get them checked regular if you dont know what to look out for tyre wise!

And as stated get rid of the nankangs , there cheap for a reason :)

Yea, i decided to go to the show anyway as it happened just short of Northampton services and i was told there was a Formula One although they didnt have the size yet Kwik Fit did but wanted £500 which i dont have plus new wheel and tyre is £300. I got into the show for nowt as well and found a nice group of people that let me on their stand, lol.

Fortunately i was only doing 50 as it was road works, happened just as the cones were coming to an end to, although wasnt so good that i was in the middle lane, car stayed quite controlled, but i guess it would be a different story had it been the front.

Dont think i be sleeping tonight as i still feel shaky, not an experience i want to go through again.

Its only just passed an MOT??

When it comes to MOT's it depends on how much wear you have across the tyre i.e if its wearing on the edge but under a certain amount across the tyre then they'll pass it! Did they not advise it?

Doesnt look like a blowout to me, looks like its gone flat and just driving on it has sliced through the side wall.

Blow outs are usually a sidewall failure in one area and the tyre just explodes so you get instant deflation which at even sensible speeds can be very hard to control.

Glad your okay

Wheel has gone to Lepsons to find out if there is any faults with it and i will be getting the valve checked again as this wasn't fitted correctly when i first got them and caused me to get a flat and pay for a new tyre, so flat is a possibility although the air is checked regularly. Found a nail in the tyre as well. The rest of the wheels have Yokohama or something on, these have lasted since i first got the wheels, although i dont do a great deal of driving other than a couple of shows a year, the rest is local as i live and work in Faversham.

As for cheaper trainers, i be lucky to get Reebok Classics every six months, lol, thats not my foot in the pic, hahahaha.

The speedo has also decided to pack up, it never rains it pours of late.

Probably jinxed myself buy saying i may have to sell it.

Seeing as youve found a nail in it i think you can safely say thats been the cause as the tyres slowly lost pressure which on a low profile tyre is harder to tell, the preasure has eventually got low enough for the rim of the wheel to cut through the side wall.

Ive had exactly the same happen and also had a blow out happen and trust me the blowout is far worse.

Have you seen the police video when the m-way pursuit guys get a blow out ? think they do at least 2 360's before getting it under control.

Tyre pressure monitor for peace of mind????

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=185118

This would/should have alerted you to the pressure loss and the heat buildup before it finally went.

I had a Previa pass me a couple of months back on the M23 doing 85 on a flat rear. I had just accelerated to pull alongside him to tell him when the flat tyre exploded. He met the central reservation, wiped out a motorway sign post then ended up sideways on the hard shoulder! Luckily it was just me and him on the 3 lanes ..... and I managed to brake hard lol

Have you seen the police video when the m-way pursuit guys get a blow out ? think they do at least 2 360's before getting it under control.

That vid is plain scary. IIRC they are doing just over 90 and manage to miss everything on the road and end up near the hard shoulder.... with a few choice words!!

That's why tyres & brakes are the most important parts of the car.... NEVER to be neglected or 'done on the cheap' :blink: