The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stripped threads

tony tt

:( I just took my steering wheel off to fit a new wheel with boss kit but when putting the main 19mm bolt on ive stripped the fuc@ing thing. The nut is ruined and half way down the barrel is stripped too! Im such an idiot could i get away with a new 19mm nut and try catch the thread again thats still there or do i need a whole new top part to the steering rack too? Thanks for any help.

It obviously depends on the condition of the threaded shaft.

Are the threads on the end shaft of the shaft okay, if so you could just use a new nut if the threads further down aren't too bad as you could use the nut by tightening/loosening to clean up the threads.

It would be better to use a thread cutting die to clean up the threads but again the threads on the end of the shaft have to be okay to get the die started on the correct thread, only possible though if the damage further down isn't too bad.

You should be able to buy a secondhand shaft fairly cheaply as there cannot be much demand for them at all.

Post up a good pic if you can.

I'll change it if you need a hand bud ;) Also got a tap and die set if you need to borrow one!

Thanks Rob ill try get a new 19mm nut for it first i really dont want to go down the road of putting a steering column in it. Ive managed to lift most of the splintered thread out with a magnet. The wheels on at the moment but theres play in it because it wont tighten right down properly. Thanks again Rob ill let you know how i get on bud. :thumbs: