The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why didn't they make a Supra Manual Aerotop?

Sheefa

Does anyone actually know why? Obviously it's the creme del la creme and there have been a few conversions to man for the aero auto's, but why on earth didn't Toyota make one in the first place??

Never really given this much thought and not seen an answer beforer ass to why.

Ah really, didn't know that. Thanks for clariying. Still begs the question as to why they didn't make one for Japan/Europe though!

The key question is why, if they produced aerotops in a specific county, namely japan, did they not think people would want a manual aerotop.

Bizzare.

Surely the big question is whether or not to produce an aerotop. Totally understand why not in this country. But not to offer the countries that did have aerotops produced a manual seems non sensical.

Maybe we're looking at the obvious "market" reasons, when possible a technical / cost reason? ummm

Well the additional strengthening beams etc maybe required, but doubtful as with the roof on the aero is SOLID. Just seems strange. Anyhow, I doubt the cost os swapping the auto trans for a manny was much based on Toyota economies of scale! Seems bit bizarre.

Weather point is a good one though, but surely in Japan the whole scene would of been crying out for this.

Lol I know, that's what the threads about isn't it? The fact that only the US got the manual aerotops. Shame, as it's the perfect supra imo.

I know 2 :D

I agree, but at the same time, it makes for owning a facelift Aerotop TT6 in right hand drive guise extra special if you have the work done :)

There was a manual aerotop in the Supra range but as above was for the US market.

That's just amazing. Most americans would surely want to drive automatics... hardly any of them drive "stick shifts".

That explains the supra in the F&F now.

How ropey is an automatic to manual conversion? I guess most people buy an aerotop with an engine they don't care about and then whack the whole guts from a manual TT in there or something?

I think they care slightly but realise the cost of a conversion is just not worth the money. £2500 is a ridiculous amount to spend.

Unless you can do it yourself or get a 6 spd box cheap somehow.

I think they care slightly but realise the cost of a conversion is just not worth the money. £2500 is a ridiculous amount to spend.

Unless you can do it yourself or get a 6 spd box cheap somehow.

?

Getting a complete conversion done for £2500 would be cheap as cheaps. It's a big big job.

How ropey is an automatic to manual conversion?

Not ropey at all if it's done right. Is on the list of stuff i want doing on my car, but i'm going to enjoy my built auto for the time being.

Now what i really don't understand is people who convert hard top Autos to manuals!! :D

?

Getting a complete conversion done for £2500 would be cheap as cheaps. It's a big big job.

Not disputing the labour/parts cost, I am disputing the opportunity cost of spending that amount.

As in, what else you could spend with £2500. There are way better things I'd spend £2500 on than having the choice of changing gears as I accelerate - lol.

Each to their own though as I know a lot of people like the luxury of having a manual and need the manual for power issues etc.

Not disputing the labour/parts cost, I am disputing the opportunity cost of spending that amount.

As in, what else you could spend with £2500. There are way better things I'd spend £2500 on than having the choice of changing gears as I accelerate - lol.

Each to their own though as I know a lot of people like the luxury of having a manual and need the manual for power issues etc.

I suppose it's all down to means, and the value you put on money.

But, a manual is essential for reliability when upping power significantly

It's an odd thing for me to say, but I don't like the feeling of being in an automatic so much. I've not driven a supra auto, so I can't comment on that, but the engine response is so different...

I used to think that until I bought my auto aerotop. It is fantastic even with the manual mode its great.

Only thing I dislike is the auto changings gears to quickly when pottering around so you can't unleash the exhaust notes.

Manual mode solves that problem nicely :D

Racing... I mean driving *cough cough* the aerotop on country roads with the roof off is like a video game. Just accelerate and brake, whilst listening to the roar of the exhaust. I do miss that a lot. How I do miss that kick down sound.