The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Decisons Decisions Decsions ?

Lee_e

hey guys im in a bit of a dilema.

Im going to buy a supra in under 15 days and have been looking for months and months for the write one. but iv come across a real stinker of a question and thought id ask for some expertise advice.

basically iv been looking at 2 or 3 cars for ages that i like very much, but unfortunatly or fortunatly (which ever way you take it)

2 of them are modified TT's with under 60k on the clock with an auto box, and the other TT is manual with no mods and under 8ok on the clock , i have a budget of 8.5k and im wondering do i go for the autos (as iv herd there very very good ) or go for the maunal ??

help would be amazing as im stuck now lol

thanks for any help at all :D

Simply trying to state, just because it is a manual does not mean it is a good one... And given the amount of info originally provided it was better than saying 'do a search'

Indeed, no way of knowing from the info.

But if he's asking what would be better if the condition of all 3 was the same, then an unmolested manual 6 speed with 20k miles on over the autos would be better.

lol ahh i see, didnt quite get that little remark.

well what i was wondering is lets say they were all in fine working order with nothing wrong, should i go for the modded one or the standard , now i know alot of you love the standard with a few additions but i just dnt know wether a manual is all that much better than a auto .

a little more info now:

both TT autos have done 61k with new cambelts and full service history and both are 97's and the other manual has done 77k miles and its a 93. may sound silly but still worth asking .

Edited by Lee_e (see edit history)

Forget the gearbox, forget the mileage, just buy on condition, and at 8.5K you should be buying something mint and very late. Beware of body mods, many are poorly done and hide nasties such as accident damage. A stock, late model import is the way to go, IMHO. Take someone that knows these cars inside out with you, and see it on a ramp. Good luck.

I think you just need to drive both cars and see which one you prefer... A small part of me thought I could live with an Auto, but being a bit of a petrol head I had my doubts. Drove a couple of auto's and a tiptronic, whilst the auto was very good for an auto, I couldn't have lived with it, no the tiptronic. Manual all the way for me and I'm going to wait to find the right one.

An another note, it's crazy how much supra prices are dropping at the moment though isn't it.

Guest SupraTroopa

Seems strange that the first auto was owned by a disabled gentleman hence not thrashed (I don't understand why being disabled would mean you can't give it a bit of welly) and the second was owned by an elderly gent hence not thrashed (same point as before). I was going to go and look at an auto supe from there when I was looking for a supe a few months back that was 'previously owned by a woman for 5 years hence never thrashed'.

Hmm.

Each "Decision" in the title is spelt differently. Not that I'm making any comment on the matter, or in fact the subject at hand in this thread.

Just made me smile that's all :) Please, continue....

Ha that's all I noticed too :D What's this thread about lol. I also laughed at the avatar as I am a Family Guy fan :)

you say the manual is unmodified. :search: I guess you are referring to the bodywork, as there are a number of modifications on the manual, some I would immediately unmodify IYKWIM. *cough* Induction kit *cough*

The manual appears to be what is commonly known as BPU. 1.2 bar boost is also the top end of what is generally accepted to be safe on the JSpec turbos.

Mike