The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hiya

Kevan

Hi peeps,

The latest (well I am at the time of posting) newbie on the block here.

Not yet the owner of a Supra and not sure whether I will be, hence my signing up so you guys can convince me LOL

Joking aside, I've been a happy owner of a Mazda MX6 for several years which I've just sold. In a few weeks time, I'll be looking for a replacement and one of the options is a Supra so I'm here to find out as much as I can before splashing out my hard-earned (Yeah, right! I'm in IT, since when did we work hard?)

So, what I'm really looking for are the scare stories, the niggles, the weaknesses and the things that could've been done better. Obvious things to consider for example: manual or auto (is there an auto option?) and, more importantly, why?

I've been told that the boot is quite small, is this true? does the rear seat fold down to increase space? I've seen a photo online of one with the roof panel removed, is this a standard option or a one off customisation? This is beginning to sound like a Fischer Price advert ;o) Where's my potty? Why didn't I think of that earlier?

Sorry for the string of questions but I really want to find out as much as I can before my 25 posts run out. ;)

Thanks

K.

Autos are available and its a great box. It's horses for courses on choice and opinion is always divided!

There was an Aerotop version - this is the one you've seen with the roof panel removed.

With the tops of the rear seats folded I can get 2 sets of gold clubs plus other bits in there - it's not the most spacious boot but you're not buying it for that!

Always buy one with as much history as possible - always look on here first!! Jurgen (http://www.jm-imports.co.uk/) is a really good first port of call - he only sources top grade, well looked after cars.

Search on here for niggles and living with a Supra - they can be faultless or nightmarish, as with most cars, there's no hard and fast rules (apart from don't buy cheap and expect to run it on a shoestring budget!)

Autos are available and its a great box. It's horses for courses on choice and opinion is always divided!

There was an Aerotop version - this is the one you've seen with the roof panel removed.

With the tops of the rear seats folded I can get 2 sets of gold clubs plus other bits in there - it's not the most spacious boot but you're not buying it for that!

Always buy one with as much history as possible - always look on here first!! Jurgen (http://www.jm-imports.co.uk/) is a really good first port of call - he only sources top grade, well looked after cars.

Search on here for niggles and living with a Supra - they can be faultless or nightmarish, as with most cars, there's no hard and fast rules (apart from don't buy cheap and expect to run it on a shoestring budget!)

Hi mate

I can vouch for jurgens cars;) Take a look at my garage

Thanks for the warm welcome peeps :)

I'm gradually working my way around the board, learning what I can. I'll probably have more questions later but so far I'm most interested in a manual TT Aerotop.

Currently, my other options are: Another MX6, there's no need to tell me why the Supra is better, I know the Six very well which is why it's a contender; The Soarer but I'm thinking it looks a little bland; Mitsubishi GTO, possibly unreliable but quick and looks good; Nissan SX200.

I've always liked the Supra and I'm liking it even more as I find out more about it. So far the only real reservation is a daily commute of 80 miles which could prove pricey.

K.

Thanks for the warm welcome peeps :)

I'm gradually working my way around the board, learning what I can. I'll probably have more questions later but so far I'm most interested in a manual TT Aerotop.

Currently, my other options are: Another MX6, there's no need to tell me why the Supra is better, I know the Six very well which is why it's a contender; The Soarer but I'm thinking it looks a little bland; Mitsubishi GTO, possibly unreliable but quick and looks good; Nissan SX200.

I've always liked the Supra and I'm liking it even more as I find out more about it. So far the only real reservation is a daily commute of 80 miles which could prove pricey.

K.

The Supra is a thirsty car, 80 miles a day is going to cost you. Why not buy a Supe for weekends and a crappy run about for work. The money on petrol/diesel you save you can spend on the supe lol :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

Well, I've almost done it! Saw a silver '94 Aerotop today, negotiated a price and all things being equal (and soliditors not screwing up) I'll be collecting it next weekend :) :) :) It has very subtle side-skirts but is completely unmolested apart from that.

I think the first change will be to replace the standard 16" wheels with some bigger ones. I've alread established that 18" iss about as big as you can go but haven't yet found what the standard offset is (I know, I know, the search button is my friend) so if anyone wants to save me some time, I' appreciate it.

Thanks for the advice and even bigger thanks to everyone who's contributed to the information on here.

K.

A very happy bunny

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Tom, I'm enjoying it immensely :)

Unfortunately, it's an N/A SupraGirlie, TT might come later but I wasn't prepared to wait until a good one came up.

Martini, they're standard I believe, and the skirts are a Toyota option.

K.

Nice place to start with an N/A, it will be an easier car to live with on a daily basis, but do not skimp on parts and serviving as and when required. I can't see any reason why you would not enjoy it as a daily driver bar the fuel bills.

I don't daily drive my N/A, it's my first supra (and first car).

I am going to get mine serviced by Chris Wilson after my holiday (september time) and no expense will be spared. I already have 5 litres of oil sat under my desk (thanks oilman).

I'm quite happy with the N/A at the moment. The first tank of fuel was surprising as it seems to be returning similar mileage to my old MX6 despite having 50 or so extra ponies under the bonnet.

I'm seriously glad I put the wheels on though, the tyres on the originals were described by the fitter as "Only good for spinning up and smoking". The polite description is "Ditchfinders"

It's getting a new alarm/immobiliser/remote-locking next week and a kph-mph chip (and de-limiter) definitely looms large in the not-too-distant future.

K