The mkiv Supra Owners Club

auto box question

supraspeed

Ok i'm looking at a few auto TT's but ive never driven an auto before. i obviously read many threads about how great they are and they generally sound a safe bet. Ive been reading the manu/manual mode/s etc on the other pages and all the auto options scare the hell outta me lol. i dont think i would want to touch them just in case i'd break the car lol. Like one option says it selects 2nd and 3rd only??? i mean is this something to drive all day in cos sticking a car in second gear to pull away in doesn't sound right to me. again all these different selections seem really weird (as ive never driven and auto car before) and just wondered how it all works on normal driving? i know it all prob seems a bunch of stupid questions but i generally dont know how i would drive an auto supe (stick selectons obviously) i just dont wanna test drive one and break it.

just outta interest whats the point of 1st and 2nd gear only? surley that would cane petrol or something and is that up to a certain mph?

Lol, dude, do you know how an automatic gearbox works? :D

It's the same more or less as a manual, you need lower gears to make the car move, the higher gear ratio's are due to the way the box works (torque convertor). The manual shifting just allows you to select the highest gear the box will shift to (i.e drive will keep on going until 4th, 2 until 2nd gear, etc)

Im still learning at the mo, but i use second if i want to pull away quicker then just before you get to redline just push the lever up one notch into drive and this allows the second to redline then gentle shifts to the next gear in the driving range (this is what The Raven has taught me) Like i said im still learning but the auto boxs on the supra are absolutely flawless in my opinion.

Im still learning at the mo, but i use second if i want to pull away quicker then just before you get to redline just push the lever up one notch into drive and this allows the second to redline then gentle shifts to the next gear in the driving range (this is what The Raven has taught me) Like i said im still learning but the auto boxs on the supra are absolutely flawless in my opinion.

I've never driven a Supra auto before, but does putting it in D not do the same? That would take it to near the red line if you have your foot down, wouldn't it?

I've never driven a Supra auto before, but does putting it in D not do the same? That would take it to near the red line if you have your foot down, wouldn't it?

Yes and no its quite hard to explain. It stops the changing up if you let off a bit.

I use 2 alot Manu mode too. The only time i use overdrive is when on twisty roads where the changing up to annoys me

:p quite, i forgot that part. However the TT engine is almost a waste without using the box to its full abiltys.

I'm not sure mate, the manu mode is good for holding round corners and overrun sounds well and it works better than D with my 67mm turbo but on a 61 like Paul's or a stock twins car the D mode is more than adequate, it always seems to be in a good power band.:)

Ok i'm looking at a few auto TT's but ive never driven an auto before. i obviously read many threads about how great they are and they generally sound a safe bet. Ive been reading the manu/manual mode/s etc on the other pages and all the auto options scare the hell outta me lol. i dont think i would want to touch them just in case i'd break the car lol. Like one option says it selects 2nd and 3rd only??? i mean is this something to drive all day in cos sticking a car in second gear to pull away in doesn't sound right to me. again all these different selections seem really weird (as ive never driven and auto car before) and just wondered how it all works on normal driving? i know it all prob seems a bunch of stupid questions but i generally dont know how i would drive an auto supe (stick selectons obviously) i just dont wanna test drive one and break it.

Just stick it in 'D' and leave it alone. I've only ever used Manu a few times and even at RAF Marham and at the Ring, I only knocked the lever back to 2nd for slow speed corners. Don't find Manu does anything noticeable TBH. Once you know how the care behaves, you know when it's about to change up or down :)

Yes, thats right, in manual mode you use L, 2, and D like 1st 2nd and 3rd, it gives you control over the revs for use on bendy twisty roads and roundabouts. If you want to play a bit manual is better if you wont to poddle or go fast in a stright line then in full auto is best.

Bob.