The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Changing Disks

BillyC

Finally got my rear disks changed today after a lot of huffing and puffing.

Don't know if anyone is interested but I took a few pictures along the way and hope they may be helpful to someone.

The usual procedures with Axles stands and obviously taking the wheels off. I also used chocks on the front wheels. You should hopefully have something like Pic 1. The coloured parts may or may not be required as you progress.

First thing to do was get the calipers off. I done it the long way, removing the pads and carrier but I think is probably easier removing the caliper as a whole. Removing the pad carrier part is easy and theres a good thread on it here.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=120701

To remove the carrier complete then you need to take out the two 17mm bolts that are pretty easy to identify by just following the calliper design. Be aware that these bolts are pretty tight and need a bloody good pull to start them off. Once started though removal is straight forward. Then simply support the removed calliper somewhere.

This should leave you with the disk in front of you, release the handbrake and you may be able to pull it staight off. After probably 15 years mine wasnt coming off quite so easily.

The procedure I followed was.

1. Make sure the handbrake shoe had fully released. I removed the grommet, shown in yellow in Pic 2, and rotated the wheel so the hole was in the 6 oclock position. From here you need to shine a torch (narrower beamwidth the better) and find a small cog through it. Stick in a small flatblade screwdriver and move the cog upwards or downwards to release the shoe which may still be sticking. I cant remember what direction but you'll know you've got it the wrong way when it tightens and you cant turn the wheel. Simply turn the cog the other way. Try and remove again. If it doesnt move go to step 2.

2. As I was replacing the disks then I wasnt to bothered about hitting them. I literally dowsed the whole disk from behind, where it meets the hub, in WD40. Apply, turn wheel slightly, apply more till wheel is done. I then took a rubber headed hammer and beat the disk senseless. Hit hard, turn wheel, hit hard, turn wheel. Its quite hard to do as is awkward and the guard is a pain in the arse. Try to hit as near to the cente of the disk as possible. This failed for me, but the hammer I had wasnt particularly heavy. I think Chis W recomends a copper headed hammer. People recommend hiting harder and harder until you succeed in breaking the seal, but I moved on.

3. As I couldnt remove them easily using a hammer I then used 2 bolts to seperate the the disk. The circles in Pic 2 are actually threaded and will accept 2 standard M8 bolt. I highlghted the holes simply because if I hadnt read on here they existed I wouldnt have known they were there. They were full of crud and totally disguised with the colouring of the rest of the disk.

I cleaned them out using a watchmakers screwy. Lashed loads of WD40 in. Cleaned them again, and loaded more WD40 in. See Pic 3.

The M8 bolts are quite hard to get started, but once in they saved the day for me. Turning each one alternately a small bit at a time slowly pushes the disk away from the hub. Make sure you turn the bolts a little at a time as its possible the bolt may shear. Its also worth noting that you can pop a bit of WD40 into the surrounding holes as the disk starts to seperate. As they seperated I could actually hear the cracking as the disks moved away little by little. I kept adding more and more WD40, and turning the bolts little by little until the disk just popped away.

I then took a large sigh of relief as apparently after this stage you need some serious heat to help seperate them.

Pic 4 shows what you're left with hopefully and shows the handbrake spring mechanism quite nicely. I'm trying to find out whats the best way to give this a little TLC whilst its opened up.

Pic 5 is a poor picture of the actual sprocket to turn with the screwdriver to release the handbrake further.

Pic 6 is both disks removed and we're off to the Falkirk wheel.

This was the first time I'd done this so if anythings wrong, or the order, (I feel the bolts should be tried before the hammering myself) please feel free to correct.

Hope this is of some help

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

Pic 4.jpg

Pic 5.jpg

• 1 year later...