The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mmm dish

JamesC

Well, the dish on my Axis wheel had corroded quite badly in places so thought it was time to get it sorted. The one pictured is the worst one and this is the one i started with.

The dishes are dimond cut and lacquered. So i started off by masking the wheel and stripping the lacquer off using Nitromors. This was much easier than expected and you could see the lacquer blistering after about 20 secs.

After that it was a quick wet sand with 1200, 2000 and then 2500. All the stages were much easier and quicker than expected, very suprised!

And the results:

Before:

attachment.php?attachmentid=93023&stc=1&d=1243192823

After:

attachment.php?attachmentid=93024&stc=1&d=1243192823

attachment.php?attachmentid=93025&stc=1&d=1243192823

Before.jpg

After1.jpg

After2.jpg

my axis did exactly the same, i think ill have a go at that when i get the car back from body shop

I was very suprised how easy it was, definately worth a go! Although some can be a bit of a bitch apparently!

Looks so much better mate, top job! :thumbs:

Hope you got some protector on after that?

Well i've only done one so far. Havent got anything on it yet. What would you suggest i was just going to put some car polish on them.

more detail please.

Masked ? what with

Masking tape :p. Just masking taped to the edge where i wanted it then taped some card to cover the rest of the spokes. In fact, here's one i did earlier:

attachment.php?attachmentid=93029&stc=1&d=1243194924

Nitromors ? tell us more

Just a paint stripper.

Sanded ? How long for

Not too long for these, was really easy for these ones for some reason. Probs about 10 mins with the 1200 and 5 mins with the 2000 and 2500. If you have different make wheels though then it could be a lot harder!

refurb.jpg

Masking tape :p. Just masking taped to the edge where i wanted it then taped some card to cover the rest of the spokes. In fact, here's one i did earlier:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=93029&stc=1&d=1243194924

Just a paint stripper.

Not too long for these, was really easy for these ones for some reason. Probs about 10 mins with the 1200 and 5 mins with the 2000 and 2500. If you have different make wheels though then it could be a lot harder!

What did you use after the wet n dry to get the shine??

Cheers guys.

After wet sanding i just used Autosol to give it the shine. Now i'll have to get some wheel sealent.

Stevo - give it a go yourself, if it's too hard then take it to SEM ;). Yeah i should be at the meet on the 21st ;)